Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 14:26
I was wondering if women with US size 5 shoes find it difficult to find their size in Japan. It seems that the smallest available size is typically a 22.5cm, which according to most size charts, is a US size 6. I have ordered two pairs of shoes from Japan, and so far both have fit more like a 6-6.5. Is this strange? Were my experiences just unfortunate?

Thanks!
by Cat (guest)  

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 15:14
So you are US size 5, and you bought what size (in cm) from Japan?

I believe that US size 6 is equivalent to 22.5 or 23.0cm, and while it is on the smaller side, there is no problem finding shoes that fit 22.5 or 23.0.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 15:21
I'm a size 5 and I bought 22.5 shoes because some conversion charts said they were 5's, while others said they were 6's. I thought it was odd that most Japanese shops didn't seem to carry 5's, so I guess I was hoping that 22.5 typically being a 6 was just do to certain brands running large. :( Oh well. Thanks.
by Cat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 15:24
Ummm. I think that US 5 is more like 21.5cm...

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 15:27
That's the problem, it seems that shops don't often sell that size! I guess I should avoid Japanese shoes. :( Thank you again.
by Cat (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 15:35
Ladies shoe sizes for
US 5 = JPN 22.5cm
US 5 1/2 = JPN 23cm
US 6 = JPN 23.5cm
US 6 1/2 = JPN 24cm

I think you can easily find US ladies size between 5 and 6 1/2 in Japan.

US size 7 or larger is available at selected stores and by mail order.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 17:24
You'd better avoid Japanese shoes for a different reason: because they are poorly made of low quality materials.
by Me (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 17:29
Except for the high quality ones of course, which are some of the best shoes available ;)
by Me 2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 18:04
See, that's how much the size ranges from one brand/maker to another when it comes particularly to "converting" to other country's sizes... sorry to hear you had some difficulties. Another thing is that Japanese shoes (in general) tend to be a bit wider than American shoes (as far as I noted when I lived in the States). So some brands might list the sizes already taking into consideration the extra width, and other might just list the toe-to-heel length, thus might (partly) explain the differences.

Re: Japanese shoes too large? 2014/4/10 18:46
I have this problem, too. I live in Japan and have issues with almost all of the shoes I buy being too large. 22.5 cm is usually the smallest I can find, and they're almost always too big on me. Very frustrating, because there are lots of cute shoes.
by lemir (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread