Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is Son-Goku's accent (Dragon Ball)? 2014/4/17 06:08
Here in North America, the common perception is that the Japanese Original Goku speaks like a "hick/hillbilly". However, yesterday I was told by someone (who spoke to his Japanese friend) that Son Goku actually speaks in "Yakuza-Japanese". And that his "tone" is more of a "gangster" than a "Hick".

I've also heard that his accent/tone is a mix of Tohoku and Nagoya dialect put together.

Is this accurate?
by Galaxyman (guest)  

Re: What is Son-Goku's accent (Dragon Ball)? 2014/4/17 11:21
They say it's the idea of the voice actor, trying to give him a character, and is a mix of Nagoya and Tohoku dialects. But it's not accurate as neither :)

Some might say "gangster," simply because it is intentionally made to sound like a rough, care-free guy, but I wouldn't say as far as to say "gangster" :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is Son-Goku's accent (Dragon Ball)? 2014/4/17 18:22
He definitely sounds too young and innocent for a yakuza.

Perhaps it's the "beranmei" accent he has that makes your friend think it's yakuza-sounding.

Beranmei involves rolling your tongue when saying the "R" sounds and is a typical old town Tokyo accent. A lot of craftsmen used to use it.

In other words, it's like saying you have a mafia accent when all you have is a Bronx accent.

He sounds like a bouncy kid next door, who climbs trees and fishes at the lake. He actually sounds like a junior high P.E. teacher I know. She later became a principal.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: What is Son-Goku's accent (Dragon Ball)? 2014/4/17 23:27
Thank you very much for your replies. So, from what I read in your posts, Goku's tone seems to be:

- Like a carefree child.
- Who also can sound like a tough guy.

In North American English, would the "Bronx" accent (with the childish glee) be seen as being the equivalent of how Goku speaks in Japanese?
by Galaxyman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What is Son-Goku's accent (Dragon Ball)? 2014/4/19 00:48
In North American English, would the "Bronx" accent (with the childish glee) be seen as being the equivalent of how Goku speaks in Japanese?

Well, you can't really "equalize" accents from two different countries, but I wouldn't say that's unnatural.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread