Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 02:18
In the following photograph, can anyone tell me where the camera was placed for such a shot? I tend to think it was atop the Grand Pacific Le Daiba, but I'm not sure. Do they have an observation deck? I'm still trying to contact the photographer so he can supply the settings on his camera. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!
by John B digs Japan  

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 10:42
link to the photo?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 11:18
Probably placed on an invisible tripod to take that invisible picture...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 11:40
I realized my mistake of not posting the link, but I didn't want to delete the post. My apologies for the omission, and despite the sarcasm, I do appreciate your attention.

Here is the link:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ushikawa/10253887_61991844475543...
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 15:54
Is there a reason for you to think it was from Grand Pacific Le Daiba?

The road at the bottom of the photo is apparently the Shutoko (Metropolitan Expressway), so the forest closer to the camera is obviously Hamarikyu.

And guessing from a birds-eye-view version of a Google Map, I think it could have been taken from any of the skyscrapers in Harumi or Toyosu area such as Harumi Triton Square. I'm not sure if any of them have an observation deck, but if the photographer had access to one of the offices on the upper floors, (s)he would have been able to take this photo.

Just a guess, though.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 20:23
Thank you, Uco! I guess I didn't know what the greenery in the foreground was! Now that I see a map, you are most probably correct. It's unfortunate I won't have the possibility for such a beautiful shot. Thank you kindly!

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 23:00
Oh my goodness, this Tomoshi Hara, can take some great picturesc
The picture is Tokyo Tower or T_Tower, I went to podiumfoto.com and I found his link

http://sniper303.podiumfoto.com/photos

I found the photo you posted and I look at other photos he posted and found this photo

http://sniper303.podiumfoto.com/photo/94925/tokyo_night_view#topo

if you look at this photo you can clearly see the Tokyo tower to the right top of the photo with the color purple, pink and yellow going up.

Then I look at the other photo he had and match it up with your photo you posted

http://sniper303.podiumfoto.com/photo/95163/t_tower#topo

And if you look Tokyo tower is there to your left in back of the building in blue, pink and yellow color.

So T_Tower mean Tokyo Towerc this shot would be hard to take unless you have access to a room or a roof.. Depending on the building design... That making was taking between 55 and 65th floor, I ask the building engineer. I also counted the floor of the building to the right with the blue lights at the bottom.

I was going to say Osaka because when your traveling in Nipponbashi aka Den Den town there that train over pass that has the S turn like in the photo to the left that goes between the two building.

I hope Ifm rightc let me know

http://sniper303.podiumfoto.com/photo/95880/cherry_blossom#topo

http://sniper303.podiumfoto.com/photo/94817/tokyo_night_view#topo

This is why I love to travel; I see pictures like this I want to be there to see it for myself.

Check out this photo
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/567242515538713899/
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/22 23:07
typo, **That mean the picture was taking between 55 and 65th floor,

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 00:05
Sadly as travellers we are usually limited to the more famous observationdecks. And most of them don't allow tripods.

tomoshi hara uses HDR in most of his pictures, not a big fan of it myself, cos it looks unreal.

by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 00:15
What is HDR???

i know the photo was edited with a software or camera thing.

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 01:56
Thank you all! When taking a photo with HDR, the camera actually takes two photos. The first takes the brightest point the sensor sees and takes a photo accordingly. The second photo takes the darkest point and takes a photo accordingly. The camera then merges both photos and produces one shot. It stands for High-Dynamic Range.

I myself like the effect of HDR, but not always. In this case, I really do like it.

I guess I'll use the Mori Building, iLink Ichikawa and the Bunkyo Civic Center for my shots. I hope I can use a Gorillapod on the handrail at each place!

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 05:36
Everytime i read yllwsmrf and dot dot dot comment i burst out laughing. even now when im typing this im laughing.

yllwsmrf: link to the photo?
...: Probably placed on an invisible tripod to take that invisible picture...

very funny stuff..

anyhow. i just thought of something. but i dont think this would work with camera... but some camera give the location where the photo was taken. maybe if you copy and past the picture onto your smart phone you can see the location where the photo was taken.

i am guessing your from Japan. this spot would be easy to find if you live in tokyo.clearly there a park in the center and building surrounding the building.

wow, for some reason i wanna know where this picture is taken.if i was there now, i would make my way there to find this location.

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 07:15
Seiko, I am not from Japan, but I'm headed there again in a few weeks.

I just thought that photo was quite impressive and I wanted a chance to repeat it. I will find others to create for myself. Thanks for participating!

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 10:50
So based on google maps, I'd guess that the photo was taking from one of the top floors of the Tokyo Towers Mid Tower condo building:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6558864,139.7742322,213a,35y,270h,78.7...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

It's the only spot that seems to match the angles, and the building is 58 stories tall which squares with Seiko's comment. Unfortunately, I'm not finding anything about renting there for a short stay, so this may be one of those views that is off limits to most people unless they've got half a million yen to drop on the rent for a month.

http://www.axel-home.com/000340.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 12:57
Thanks yllwsmrf! It's a great shot and off limits to the likes of me.

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/23 20:40
I guess I'll use the Mori Building, iLink Ichikawa and the Bunkyo Civic Center for my shots. I hope I can use a Gorillapod on the handrail at each place!

I've been to these observation decks myself, you can use a gorillapod in all of these places. Your biggest challenge however, will be dealing with reflections because you'll be shooting through glass. Bring a dark cloth or jacket is my advice.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Photograph's camera placement 2014/4/24 00:13
I think I have narrowed down the location and how he did it, here this is my theory.

After yllwsmrf said gunless they've got half a million yen to droph this made me rethink everything. This photo may have not been taken from a roof top of a building or a room unless he had access to one of those two spots and if the picture was taken from a room, the room had to have had a balcony.

Out of those two opinions and looking at the google map posted we can see there are a lot of trees or green spots. But they are a lot of trees in the picture so on the map and going by the picture was most likely taken in the green area there that S Turn like one way road near the single bathroom

Remember I said the S Turn train track or high way over path, if you look at the map you can see that S like turn the rectangler which is a one way street with the arrow.

I am guessing this the photo was taken from two spots if it wasnft taken from a building. The two spots is Meitoku Kindergarten area or Zojo-ji area. Also he may have use a long lens.

Why those two spots. Because you can see the edge of the park tree terrain.

@ John, Oh man, Ifm jealous. I can't wait until i go back to Japan myself. I will be returning later at the end of this year or early 2015. But I would like to spend more time outside of Japan, the open area with really small towns. If Ifm able to connect with other travelers to travel together that would be cool.

Have fun dude.

reply to this thread