Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/4/29 22:21
Hi guys,

I'm planning to go to Kawaguchiko for Shibazakura festival and after that go to the Tenjosan Park Mt. Kachi Kachi Ropeway.

I'm planning to have lunch and dinner in Kawaguchi.

My initial options are as below :
1. Houdou Fudou ‚Ù‚¤‚Ç‚¤•s“®Opposite Kawaguchi Station
2. Houraiya –H—‰‰Æ (is it true that they open until 5.30pm only?)
3. Momiji Tei ‚à‚Ý‚¶’à

My questions :
1. Any good restaurant recommendation? (budget 1500~2000yen)
2. Anyone tried Houraiya –H—‰‰Æ? is it good? and is it really closed at 5.30pm
3. Any food besides Houdou to recommend? (i can't eat Houdou for both lunch and dinner)
by jinxtraveler  

Re: Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/5/2 19:16
The other specialty in the area is Yoshida-no Udon, but this is another noodle dish. So I'm not sure I would recommend it.

My personal favorite place is Poele (http://www.navi-city.com/iine/poele/) which is a Japanese Western cuisine (yoshoku) restaurant.

Yoshoku is cuisine based on western menu but adopted to match with Japanese eating habits and taste and developed into something a bit different. I have seen a lot of westerners like this type of food when they try it.

the place is a few minutes by taxi from kawaguchiko station. There's a map in the website.
by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/5/2 19:36
Thx Harry, the place looks very nice from the website, and u described the food so nice, i really want to go to taste it if i can make it.

In the meantime, any places closeby the Kawaguchiko lake or kawaguchiko station, which can access by the retro bus?
by jinxtraveler rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/5/8 17:50
Sorry, although I do frequent the area I hardly ever use the bus so I'm not quite sure where the stops are.

The restaurants around the lake are not bad but they don't have to be particularly good to have customers so I won't recommend them, although there's no reason not to either.

A famous place within walking distance from Kawaguchiko station is Sanroku-en. Which serves Houtou and fireside barbecue.

http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/foreign/english/eat/p_8359.html

This does not really offer a houtou alternative and is rather expensive but, it will be cheapher than eating at hotels and the 150 year old building is a nice to see.

Re: Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/5/9 09:56
Very famous for the region is a dish called "houtou". In fact, it's one of my favorite Japanese dishes.
Best eaten in winter as it's very hot, but I still recommend trying it: http://www.houtou-fudou.jp/english.html
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/5/14 09:59
Thx guys for the ideas and suggestions.

However, i just came back from the trip, and i was too ambiguous with my planning.

While the actual condition is that we only mananged to visit the Shibazakura festival site, and we spended more than 3 hours there and had our lunch in the bazaar site there.

This was due to the heavy traffic during the festival and we were stuck in the traffic for more than an hour for both going and returning journey.

However we managed to eat the Houtou and the Houtou-Fudou restaurant just opposite the train station and it was DELICIOUS!
by jinxtraveler rate this post as useful

Re: Kawaguchiko Meal Suggestion 2014/5/14 13:41
Glad you had a good time!

reply to this thread