Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American cell phone in Japan 2014/5/2 07:18
I will be working for a year in Japan as an ALT. If I have the chance to extend my contract at the end of the year I probably will.

I currently have an iPhone with Verizon. I was talking to them about how I will be in Japan and was hoping to have a working phone for when I first arrive so I can text my family and use the internet since I won't get a Japanese cell phone for a while.

Verizon said that if I sign up for their Global Service, my iPhone would work in Japan. I'd be able to call, text, and use the internet.

However, I told them that I had read a lot of reviews online stating that it is not true. The networks are totally different there so an American cell phone would not work.

They kept assuring me it would.

Has anyone had any personal experience with this?
by Confused (guest)  

Re: American cell phone in Japan 2014/5/2 12:08
They are correct. Verizon LTE bands are different, but their iphones work fine in Japan on the slower 3g network. Note that it is extremely expensive to use your phone abroad, so only consider it as a stopgap until you're able to get a Japanese phone. It shouldn't take more than a week if you enter with a work visa. I'd also consider just renting a phone or getting a prepaid instead for the short time that you'll need one.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: American cell phone in Japan 2014/5/3 08:02
yllwsmrf,

Thank you for your response! I am very happy to hear that! I do know it is expensive, but other ALTs with this company said it took them at most a month to get a cell phone. The company told me I would be able to get one after the first week of training when I get to my new hometown. The other ALTs kept saying that's not true though, so I'm not sure how to prepare myself.

If it is only for a week, Verizon said they could help. If it is longer than a week, I would rather not use their Global Service because of how expensive it is.

I'm not sure how prepaid services in Japan are. I know my siblings use prepaid services here in the US such as Virgin Mobile. It lets them call, text, and use data for reasonable prices. Are prepaid phones good for texting and data?
by Confused (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: American cell phone in Japan 2014/5/5 08:52
The best thing for you is to use Skype. The cost is 0.
by Zeevy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: American cell phone in Japan 2014/5/7 11:39
I do know it is expensive, but other ALTs with this company said it took them at most a month to get a cell phone. The company told me I would be able to get one after the first week of training when I get to my new hometown. The other ALTs kept saying that's not true though, so I'm not sure how to prepare myself.

It depends on your visa situation. If your work visa is issued before you depart then you will just need to set up a bank account and could theoretically get a phone on the day you land. If you have to do any processing in Japan then that will delay you getting a phone.

If it is only for a week, Verizon said they could help. If it is longer than a week, I would rather not use their Global Service because of how expensive it is.

Understandable. Consider renting a pocket wifi instead then and use a voip service or skype for phone. They start around 500 yen/day.

I'm not sure how prepaid services in Japan are. I know my siblings use prepaid services here in the US such as Virgin Mobile. It lets them call, text, and use data for reasonable prices. Are prepaid phones good for texting and data?

Prepaids cover calling and email. Data is separate.

The best thing for you is to use Skype. The cost is 0.

You'll need to find the internet first. Then skype becomes an option.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread