Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

The Best Canada/Japan Phone Option 2014/5/2 16:49
So, here's the scoop. As of right now I have a cheap $50 flip phone on a Canadian phone-carrier. I want a new phone, but I will going to Japan in August for 6-12 months on a Working Holiday Visa.

So, I guess the question is, can I get an unlocked iPhone in Canada that is compatible with a phone company in Japan? If there is such a phone, the company's policy would also need to allow the activation of phones from other carriers. Is there such a phone + carrier that are compatible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
by jakedj93  

Re: The Best Canada/Japan Phone Option 2014/5/2 18:59
Here's an update, I think I might have somewhat of a plan but it is still incomplete. I will buy a SIM free iPhone5s model A1453, and get a wifi sim from bmobile in Japan.

Does this sound good? Is there any apps I could use to text over wifi in Japan? I hear a lot of Japanese people talk about LINE. I would really like it if I could find an app that allowed me to get my own number, and text other numbers whether they have the same app or not.
by jakedj93 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread