Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching spanish on my holydays in Japan 2014/5/3 05:17
I was five weeks last March traveling around in the beautiful Japan!
Now ILm planning to go again there the next year and probably ILll stay there 60-70 days!
My native tongue is spanish and I speak fluently german and english as well.
Actually I live in Germany.
During my staying in Japan I would like to combinete my tourist program with a bit of teaching spanish, even if I wouldnLt get payed for it! because with my tourist visa ILm not aloud to work in Japan!
I would do it "just for fun" and as a cultural Exchange!
Question: where should I ask for to get information where or who would like to receive me to talk spanish? Maybe a language School!?
ILm not asking for free accomodation or similar! And ILm not asking for a "Job" either!
I imagine maybe language Schools in Japan would like to receive a "foreigner visitor" who can talk to the students for free in the foreigner language , so they could practice what they are learning!
ILll be visiting Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kagoshima.
I would appreciate any kind of information you could offer me!

by Chelote  

Re: Teaching spanish on my holydays in Japan 2014/5/3 13:50
Have you been trained as a language teacher? There are professional language teachers in Japan, who work for schools and get paid for what they do. Please do not teach for free and possibly bring down their pay or in any case debase what they do as profession.

You can go to places like local groups fostering international cultural understanding among children (through different languages), or friendship groups. But those are more long-term thing among local residents, and not for one-off visits.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching spanish on my holydays in Japan 2014/5/3 14:11
You are free to teach languages for free. A lot of amateurs or retired people do it. It makes sense. There are people providing non-professional work on goodwill, and there are people providing professional work for a fair amount of money.

That said, I don't think that "language schools" are what you should be looking for. As suggested, there already are professional, native teachers where Spanish is taught.

Most non-profit teachers put up ads, but I don't think you'd have enough time to gather potential students.

So probably the best thing you can do is to contact international exchange lounges of the area you are visiting. For example, in Tokyo, there is one for each ward (ku). They might be able to think of something for you, or squeeze you in one of their events.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Teaching spanish on my holydays in Japan 2014/5/3 14:26
The same ...(guest) again.

I meant to say trying to teach at language schools for free is not the right approach, as Uco-san properly put it in her comments. Sorry my comment somehow came out wrong.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread