Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Introduction 2014/5/5 11:36
My work stated that Japanese was not required, but now wants me to do an introduction in Japanese. I do not mind, but am having a very difficult time finding a reliable website that can help me. Most of them give completely different information for something even as simple as "Hello, my name is..."
by texasjoker (guest)  

Re: Japanese Introduction 2014/5/6 00:51
Because as in nearly all languages, there is more than one way to say something mainly depending on the situation and relationship of the person you are speaking with. There are more formal and casual forms of speech. As this is being requested by your work then I would stick with a classic Japanese beginners course that will teach you the more formal phrases and once you have learnt these, you can then figure out the subtleties of changes of words to say the same thing. I wouldn't stress about it, the main point appears to be that you have some simple, basic phrases that would be understood if you were to use them. Pick a course (does your work recommend a specific one?) and stick with that, hopping around will just confuse you unnecessarily at this stage. Good luck!
by Carenza rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Introduction 2014/5/6 11:32
A very short common phrase.

hajimemashite
"John Doe" desu
"Amerika" kara kimashita
( OR "Amerika"-jin desu )
yoroshiku onegai shimasu
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Introduction 2014/5/6 13:56
texasjoker,

I agree with the others, but I hope you're not looking at automatic translators. They are just machines/software that gives you phrases that often doesn't make sense.

As suggested, check out things like language phrase books where the auther gives you the exact phrase that's suitable for each occasion. It's even better than asking people like me who are anonymous internet users.

Otherwise, you can post the different sources you're looking at and ask us what makes them different to each other.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Introduction 2014/5/6 22:58
I think the OP might have meant that he has to do a presentation for work? As in a speech in front of an audience?
If that is the case, I would strongly advise you against speaking in public in a language you don't know, even if you translated everything appropriately, your pronunciation and intonation might be not easily understood.
I would suggest to your boss that you do it in English, but have slides with the main points you are going to cover written in Japanese (and have someone proof read it if you are using a translator!), in case someone in the audience doesn't understand English.

by Brida rate this post as useful

reply to this thread