Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Acceptable hair color 2014/5/5 11:52
I have a job interview as an ALT and I was told that it is best to have a natural hair color for it. I am currently my natural hair color, dark blonde. Before I even made the interview, I had made an appointment to get my hair colored to the "Beyonce Ombre" style. If you don't know what it is, you can Google that to find out. It is the first few photos. It is dark roots with light blonde ends.

My friends here in the US and in Japan say it is not a big deal because ombre is very popular. However, they work in retail and not as an ALT. The older professionals I've spoke with see the "Beyonce ombre" as just being lazy and not dying your roots, haha.

My question is, am I better off just keeping my natural color or with this dye job not make that much of a difference?
by Sarah (guest)  

Re: Acceptable hair color 2014/5/5 18:55
Sarah,

I was told that it is best to have a natural hair color for it.

Yes, I agree, and that means it's best to be able to say, "I haven't done anything artificial with my hair. I've kept it as how god/parents have made it."

My friends here in the US and in Japan say it is not a big deal because ombre is very popular.

Yes, it's not a big deal, because ombre is popular, but it certainly is not the "best" thing you can do since it's not "natural."

The older professionals I've spoke with see the "Beyonce ombre" as just being lazy and not dying your roots, haha.

Well, that's not the point though, is it? It's not about having lazy-looking hair color. It's about having it the way it always was.

am I better off just keeping my natural color or with this dye job not make that much of a difference?

You've answered your question yourself. You are I better off just keeping your natural color and this dye job will not make that much of a difference.

Anyway, I wonder what is important for you or which risks you want to take: A Beyonce look or that ALT job. I can't decide that for you. "Acceptable" and "best" are two different things.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Acceptable hair color 2014/5/5 21:53
it is expected that teachers show a good example for students.
if you dye your hair, ...
if you have tattoos, ...

Do you trust a medical doctor who smokes, while he says "stop smoking for your health".
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acceptable hair color 2014/5/6 03:51
wow, Beyonce has her own hair color???? didn't know that.
by SomeGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acceptable hair color 2014/5/6 07:12
Thank you ken, I had a good laugh. You make a good point. Like I said, having that hair color is not really important to me. I was just curious as to whether it really made a big difference or not. If keeping my natural hair color will help me get this job then I will keep it.

I'm just confused because I keep up with some blogs of ALTs in Japan and I see some of them have purple and pink hair and I just wonder how they do it.

And no smarty. :P Beyonce does not, but when I mention ombre, most people jump to "Omg, like Beyonce, right?" So I figured she would be more recognizable, haha.
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acceptable hair color 2014/5/6 07:51
during your stay in Japan, everybody likes you, if you give a good impression to Japanese. not necessary to show you gorgeous. Japanese generally spend simple, and peaceful days, especially in countrysides.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Acceptable hair color 2014/5/6 10:37
Maybe you can dye your hair after you get the job. Something like 80% of adult women in Japan dye their hair, by the way.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread