Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanji meaning 2014/5/20 00:34
’š does this kanji mean street sign? or not?

I don't live in Japan, so I don't know if the kanji ’š stands for street sign which has horizontal strip with text attached to a long pole. Please help.
by zori2011  

Re: Kanji meaning 2014/5/20 11:36
Hello,
I had never heard ’š means street sign,
but ’š–Ϊ(chome) is a unit of address like Shinjuku 3-chome (Vh‚R’š–Ϊ). So you can see the Kanji ’š on the street signs.
And I had heard T junction was called ’šŽš˜H(cho-jiro; ’š junction) in Japan before, today we call it TŽš˜H(T-jiro) though.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji meaning 2014/5/22 13:04
hello,
STREET sign, and
we have meaning one more.

one cake of tofu, 1’š
two cake of tofu, 2’š

Do you know tofu?

by kana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji meaning 2014/5/22 16:35
I think itfs T janction .
It is written h T h on the road .
by kana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji meaning 2014/5/22 17:32
The thing is that Japanese addresses aren't shown by streets.

I know that in a lot of countries, addresses are like "1234 Abc Street, Def City".

In Japan, it doesn't work that way. Addresses are typically like "1-2, 3-chome Abc, Def-ku, Ghi City" and ku as well as chome indicate a sort of a vast "area" just as a city does. And this "chome" is written as ’š–Ϊ

This type of address is practicle here in Japan, because most streets are short, curved and don't have names. So your neighbor might live in a different ’š while the house at the other side of your backyard may belong to the same ’š

In some areas, however, such as Kyoto and Sapporo where streets are very organized, addresses often indicate what street you live on.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Kanji meaning 2014/5/23 03:12
’š–Ϊ [chome, with "o" prolonged] basically shows a set of blocks inside a district in a Žs [shi] (City), and ”Τ [ban] (number) is allotted for each of the blocks.

The address indication system with ’š–Ϊ , which has started 1962, is installed also in “Α•Κ‹ζ [Tokubetsu-ku] (special ward) of Tokyo such as Shinjuku and Chiyoda.
However, there are still many districts without this ’š–Ϊ system across Japan, even in urban areas in Tokyo.

By the way, when an address in Japan is written according to the western order, a ’š–Ϊ number often comes separately after a block number ”Τ , but personally I suppose it could be better in many cases for the two numbers to remain in the original order so that the block is easily identified by the combination of them.

For example, a block 1 ’š–Ϊ 2 ”Τ inside XYZ district is usually indicated in a label on a unity pole as "XYZ 1-2";
when the address for the house No. 3-456 in this block is written as "3-456, 1-2 XYZ" it sounds clearer that the house is in this block, compared to when the address is written as "2-3-456, 1 chome XYZ."

Uco: "... Def-ku, Ghi City"

Unlike the home city of Uco, most Cities do not have ‹ζ [ku] (ward). Here ‹ζ is a part of an ordinance-designated City such as Yokohama and has districts inside it.

“Α•Κ‹ζ of Tokyo and ‹ζ of a City are both indicated with ‹ζ in an address, but “Α•Κ‹ζ is a municipality while ‹ζ of a City is not.

Tokyo, presumably due to its historical background, has 23 “Α•Κ‹ζ (special wards). “Α•Κ‹ζ (special ward) is similar to Žs (City) but is not completely equivalent. (Each of the Tokyo 23 special wards calls itself as a City, though.)

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread