Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese restaurants for a non fish eater 2014/5/27 09:22
Hello!!

I'm heading to Japan in a month for a couple of weeks and know that a lot of traditional food is Fish or Seafood. I don't eat either so was wondering what the best thing to ask for in a typical restaurant would be.

Is Teriyaki Beef/Chicken and Chicken Katsu Curry as common in Japan as Western Japanese restaurants? Are there particular Japanese Terms and Phrases I should arm myself with before I go?

Thank you!!
by BD (guest)  

Re: Japanese restaurants for a non fish eater 2014/5/27 10:39
Unless you're going to a sushi restaurant, you should be able to find non-seafood items on the menu. And even at sushi restaurants, there are still non-seafood things you can order, like kappa-maki (cucumber rolls) or tamago (egg). My local kaitenzushi (conveyor-belt sushi) has kappa-maki, nigiri sushi-style eggplant, beef, even udon. There will be plenty for a non-seafood eater to eat, although you're really missing out on the best stuff!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese restaurants for a non fish eater 2014/5/27 11:12
There are many different kinds of restaurants in Japan, specializing in particular dishes like tonkatsu (pork cutlet), tempura, sushi, yakitori (grilled chicken), unagi (eel), etc. If you avoid restaurants specializing in fish and seafood (e.g. sushi, tempura, eel) you should find plenty of non-fishy things to eat.

(I don't think I've ever seen teriyaki beef or chicken katsu curry on a menu though, and teriyaki chicken isn't all that common.)

People in Japan do eat a lot of meat: in Tokyo at least, per capita consumption of meat is higher than that of fish and seafood.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese restaurants for a non fish eater 2014/5/27 11:20
Hi,
Don't worry, also some Japanese dislike fish and seafood.
And it's not necessary to go "Japanese restaurants".
You can eat at Curry-shop, Gyudon-shop, Ramen-restaurant or Italian, as many Japanese people do on daily life.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese restaurants for a non fish eater 2014/5/28 13:06

How about YAKINKU ? Never miss yakiniku whenever we visit Japan.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread