Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Becoming a mangaka 2004/11/12 18:28
Hello, :)

I have a couple of questions regarding the mangaka/manga/anime profession.

I was just wondering how can a person become a mangaka in Japan? What I mean is, what steps are needed to become a mangaka? I know that being fluent in Japanese is one (obviously), drawing well, but is there anything else? I am 19 right now, living in the US and have been drawing shoujo manga-style (not many manga though) ever since I was 5. I included this in case anyone needs to know. ^^;;

Also, I know there are people who become assistants to mangaka in Japan...are these very difficult to get a job as?

Another thing: the drawings...are there certain rules when drawing manga? Like, does the hair always have to be a certain style or certain way or does the pen have to be a certain way?

I know these are silly and may be confusing, but if anyone can answer my questions, I'd appreciate it. Thank you. :)
by Masquerade  

Becoming a Mangaka 2008/4/5 00:39
As far as I know, becoming an assistant can be difficult but not always. The hardest part I believe is just finding someone who doesn't have too many apprentices already.

I'm not entirely sure about the steps, but I do know that you need to write a short manga (it has to start and end in about 30 pages, not conitue on) and submit it too a company who publishes manga monthly or something like that. If they like it, they might get you to write a short series, sort of a test to see if you can do it. If you go to an art school, that would help you a lot too. It is no required though, but is suggested.

As for the pens, and hair styles, I don't think it matters. I think that it is up to the artist, but it should probably be somewhat consistant. Again, as far as I know, I don't think there are any rules to the drawings, other than that they have to actually look like manga at least a little. Oh, and the pen depends on how you want things to look. In the end, it won't really matter.

Sorry I can't be much more help. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but this is all I really know so far. I might be wrong about somethings, so take my word for everything, but I hope this helps answer some of your questions
by Vincent rate this post as useful

Impossible 2008/4/6 04:17
Stop for a minute and think of how many Japanese people are drawing manga unprofessionally. Many, many of them are seeking to be a mangaka, and not many will succeed. You being an American, you'd have a better chance of becoming the president.
by J rate this post as useful

? 2008/4/6 22:13
nothing is impossible
by shenhua rate this post as useful

reply to this thread