Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying laptop with Japanese OS 2014/6/19 11:21
My laptop recently drowned, so I need to replace it.

I've read lots of people saying that it costs extra to have an English OS installed, but is there some reason why it's not possible to just but a Japanese OS machine then just change the display to English? I'd rather not pay the extra charge for the English OS.
by Mike (guest)  

Re: Buying laptop with Japanese OS 2014/6/19 12:00
This used to be a problem with older windows machines, but since Windows 8 you can just change the system language to English in the settings. The hardest part will be finding where those settings are stored if you don't understand Japanese. Mac has always allowed changing the system language without having to buy special versions.

Main issue is that a Japanese laptop will usually come with a Japanese keyboard, but that's easy to get used to.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying laptop with Japanese OS 2014/6/19 12:16
That's awesome news smrf. Japanese isn't that much of an obstacle, and I can work with the keyboard layout. Saving 10,000 will be nice nice. Thanks
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying laptop with Japanese OS 2014/6/19 12:26
Np, I'd just like to add that I'd recommend checking out the laptops in person before you buy to make sure that changing the system language goes as expected.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying laptop with Japanese OS 2014/6/19 12:36
That would be ideal, but so far I've found the prices on kakaku and amazon to be much lower thanks the stores. I'm in Oita though, so the selection isn't that great in the local stores. I guess I could go to Fukuoka, but that uses up time and money I'd rather use elsewhere...
by Mike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread