Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/19 19:11
I'm going to Tokyo next month and I would very much like to buy a yukata.

Does anyone know where to buy one in Tokyo? And preferably a place where someone can help me out what size I should get. I'm slim but quite tall (1m80 / 5.9) for a girl. So I wonder if they have it in my size, since most woman in Japan are tiny.

Also, does anyone know the price range on yukata's?

by Kimberly (guest)  

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/20 11:26
Hi Kimberley, there are a lot of options for you depending on price range! Yukata can range from 3000/4000 yen to 30000 or more for brand name ones.

Yukata are generally one size fits all, since you can adjust the length when you wear it depending on the fold at the middle (ohashori). They are usually 165cm in length, although at more expensive kimono places, they can be tailored. Also, if the standard size isn't a good fit, at many places you can buy fabric and have one made, but that can get expensive depending on the fabric and place.

For places to get them, there is a very wide range! For brand name, all department stores around Tokyo such as Takashimaya (there is a big one in Shinjuku for example) will have either a dedicated store selling kimono/yukata, or special booths set up during the season. Clothing stores such as Shimamura will have cheaper sets usually with the obi pre-tied, so it is easy to wear, especially for teenagers and younger girls who don't know how to tie.

There are used stores all over Japan as well you can find yukata, from dedicated used kimono stores (even the stores along Ueno's Ameyokodori will have some) to used clothing places like Hard Off/Off House will have a kimono/yukata section.

Finally, depending on how long you are staying in Japan, for example at your hotel for a few days to a week, you could even search around on sites like rakuten.jp or amazon.co.jp for yukata to find a style you like.

But during July it will be easy to find them while shopping, so just keep your eyes open!

If you have any questions, I am a big fan of kimono and yukata and often buy them, so you can pm me.

Have fun!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/20 15:52
You can buy at Suzuya, Nakamise(main street) of Asakusa.
http://www.asakusa-nakamise.jp/store/pop.php?sid=91

There are some more kimono & yukata stores located in Nakamise, Asakusa.

Ask at the store how to wear it. You can't wear yukata on your own unless you know how to wear it.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/23 15:59
Thank you for your replys. And sorry I can't PM since I have a guest account :/

but one more question, can you wear other shoes than the traditional wooden ones? I don't think they'll have my size in Japan -_-'
by Kimberly (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/23 16:54
What size do you wear? If you're planning to wear the yukata outside of Japan, it is fine to wear other kinds of footwear, although you should try to find a pair of geta if possible. There are a lot of places that carry pairs in different sizes, although the more generic stores and brands are one size fits all.

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/23 18:23
If you visit Asakusa Nakamise street, there should be shoes & sandals stores. Not sure what size you are looking for but I'm sure you can find suitable a pair of Japanese style sandals in Asakusa where large number of oversea tourists visit.
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/w-village/cabinet/pic-labo/ym-1421-1.jpg
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/haiteya/cabinet/img63353647.gif
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/haiteya/cabinet/9321-1-1.gif
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/kasablow-sale/cabinet/item1/tatamiw.jpg

I recommend you to purchase a pair of sandal made out of other than wooden. This is because some countries don't permit to bring back wooden or glass products for bio security reasons.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/24 08:40
They have sort of woven style ones that aren't wood, but still look traditional. Those are light, easy to wear, and come in different sizes. I second Tokyo Friend's recommendation of Asakusa. A lot of tourists shop there, so they have things in different sizes. But I wouldn't buy the actual yukata there... all I've ever seen are ridiculous looking fake-silk "robes" specifically for foreigners who don't know better! Go to a real yukata/kimono store for the yukata.

Re: Buying a yukata in Tokyo 2014/6/24 21:13
I wear a EU size 41 (I think thats size 10 in US) so I have quite large feet -_-' hehe

Thank you all for the reply's I'll try your suggestions! :)
by Kimberly (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread