Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experiences of moving/visiting Japan alone? 2014/6/20 11:57
I have what many people get excited for Japan. My dream of going to Japan is so far away that it's almost non-existent. I'm a little depressed and going through rough times.

However when I think of Japan, it motivates me and gets me overly excited. I try to calm down and satisfy these urges usually by going to Youtube and watching videos of people that travel to Japan and make video blogs.

However, I also like to read stories of other people's experiences. The reason why I ask for people that went alone is because if I ever go to Japan, I will be alone.

So I would like to hear what got you interested in Japan?
How did you manage to get there.
Was it difficult or easy?
How did it feel when you were planning the trip there?
How did it feel when you were on your way and when you got there?
Did you know anyone in Japan before you went or did you meet people after going there?

You don't have to answer all those questions but I want to hear as much detail as you're willing to share. Thank you very much!!
by AndrewDrew  

Re: Experiences of moving/visiting Japan alone? 2014/6/20 14:38
When I was a child an older relative had a Japanese tea set...later on I saw an expo of wood cuts..then read books about Japan

How did you manage to get there.
I started travelling to foreign countries (in Europe) starting at the age of 14. Then I studied in a Scandinavian country I have never been to..then was sent by my workplace to still another foreign country for 2 years...
So going to Japan wasn't hard: decide to go, read about it, buy a plane ticket

I was going as a tourist so it was easy

What do you mean by that? I just read guidebooks, as for any other trip..I never get excited defore going on a trip as I have been to so many.

The same as in all the trips I took..the trip was nothing to worry about, as usual.

Being in Japan was very pleasant. I was especially happy to be able to easily take trains, subways etc. as they were similar to those in Europe

Did you know anyone in Japan before you went or did you meet people after going there?
I didn't know anyone and didn't try to meet anyone. I did talk to a few people but not that many

Going on a holiday means a break for having to talk to over 150 people a day..so I don't look for companionship
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Experiences of moving/visiting Japan alone? 2014/6/20 15:02
Oh and by the way, for anyone that is going to reply, don't be limited by only the questions I asked. I was over anxious when I made this post. Please describe your full experience including things that I didn't ask.

Thank you!
by AndrewDrew rate this post as useful

Re: Experiences of moving/visiting Japan alone? 2014/6/21 03:19
Since I was young I was always interested in Chinese and Japanese culture, when I started watching anime more and more, my interest peak about Japan.

How did you manage to get there?
Answer: Before going to Japan I did my own research to find out how much it was going to cost me from flight, stay, eating and train pass. Once I found the total cost, I saved the money and off I went.

Answer: Japan is neither easy nor difficult depending how much you know about Japan. As long you understand their culture you will be okay. When I found out you really donft need to know Japanese it was great for me, but once you leave the big cities than you did need to know the basic Japanese.

Answer: I didnft feel any kind of way. I had a goal and my goal was to get there. I didnft make any plan or anything before going out there.

Answer: When the JAL plane taxi in I was very excited, after I land in Japan I was ill prepared, I didnft have no real place to stay and I had to check myself and ask myself gwhat am I even doing hereh but once I got on the way to my I was very happy..

Answer: No, I did not know anyone in Japan. My younger brother has a friend out there and he wanted me to meet up with him but I said no. I ended up making 2 friends in Japan which was cool who showed me around.

Dude it seem like you really want to go out there. Here what I would recommend, save up enough money for plane ticket and for your JR Pass and do NOT add those cost to your travel trip. Than find out how long you want to stay and research how much it would cost and save up enough money. If you really want to experience how it feels like to live in Japan visit for a month. Before I traveled, people from blog site not from Japan-Guide said go out there for 2 weeks. But if you really want to know how it feels like living in Japan go out there for 1 month, with hotels, motel, Inn, meal and you activities, it should total you about 4 to $5,000 again do not add air ticket and JR Pass. If you get lucky like I did on here and you plan ahead you may find someone who have a small room they will rent to you for a month for about the same cost or less than the hotel room per night. You can use your apartment as a base and travel all around Japan and you can always come home late at night.

Have fun, I hope you get to visit Japan.
by SeikoSKO rate this post as useful

Re: Experiences of moving/visiting Japan alone? 2014/6/21 06:21
I've read studies that show people actually are happier during the planning stage before vacation than during the trip. And returning back to your normal dreary life is certianly the worst.

Anyway, enjoy studying up on Japan and dreaming about it.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Experiences of moving/visiting Japan alone? 2014/6/22 16:03
** So I would like to hear what got you interested in Japan? **

I've been a history buff from early teens onward. Later I got into older Japanese movies. In the university I beginners classes of Japanese language for two years while doing my regular studies, and that got me more interested in the language and the culture.

** How did you manage to get there.
Was it difficult or easy? **

After I graduated as M.Sci. I went to work in a pharmaceutical company in Japan for 1 year. The company had connections with the research group where I did my research for the degree. Personally I didn't have any problems going there. The Japanese mentality is relatively close to my home country of Finland.

** How did it feel when you were planning the trip there? **

I'm quite down to earth guy, so I wasn't hyper excited. I was looking forward to new challenges and made goals to experience as much possible as I can while still doing my work properly.

** How did it feel when you were on your way and when you got there? **

I was well informed about life in Japan, so I didn't have any serious culture shocks to speak of. On arrival, I just felt to get the basic living in order and start working.

** Did you know anyone in Japan before you went or did you meet people after going there? **

I didn't personally know anyone before I went there. Naturally I had people expecting me there, because I was going there to work. Later on many of my co-workers became friends with me.
by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

reply to this thread