Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chikaku, tonari, soba and yoko 2014/6/22 06:35
I am trying to better understand the specifics of ちかく,となり,そば, and よこ but I am finding contradictory information on the internet.

Seems some words are more specific to location for "near" and others can mean near location or opinion for example.

Could anyone clarify these more?
by JPolemis  

Re: Chikaku, tonari, soba and yoko 2014/6/22 13:50
ちかく,となり,そば, and よこ

ちかく: "near" or "close"
その がっこう は いえ の ちかく です。
The school is near(or close to) my house.

となり: "next"(or next door)" or "beside"
いえ の となり は きょうかい です。
The Church is next to our house.

そば:"near" or "beside"
いえ の そば に かわ が あります。
There is a river near(or beside) my house.

よこ:"beside"
いえ の よこ に でんちゅう が あります。
There is a power(or electric) pole beside our house.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Chikaku, tonari, soba and yoko 2014/6/22 15:53
tonari > soba >> chikaku

if the numbering of houses are like that
==street==

House No.3 は House No.5 のとなりです。
No.3 は No.4のとなりではありません。
No.3 は No.4 の向い(mukai)です。
No.3 と No,7はとなり(どうし)ではありません。

そば means physically close.
ちかく means close but not necessary to physically close.
from the standing point of a person who lives in US, Japan と China はちかいです。but, a person living in Japan may think China is far away from Japan.

よこ is a pair word with たて.
よこ means an alignment in longitudinal direction.
Houses No.1,3,5,7,9 はよこに並んでいる。
No.3 は No.5 のよこです。
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Chikaku, tonari, soba and yoko 2014/6/23 02:20
First of all, you can find examples of sentences with these words used by putting quotation marks on them and Googling. It would be better if you add something like "ちかくにある" "そばにある" "となりにある"

Secondly, the easiest to clarify are tonari which always means "next to something" and yoko which always means "on the sideways direction of something" (unless used metaphorically, respectively).

So for example, if you say "A wa B no tonari ni imasu," then it's basically impossible to have a C in between A and B.

And if you say "D no yoko ni E ga arimasu," then E is not in front of D nor at the back of D, but on either the left or right of D.

There's a very thin line between soba and chikaku and most of the time they can be used in the same situation which means "close." But I personally feel that soba simply sounds a bit softer than chikaku. Perhaps for this reason, soba seems to be used more in lyrics, poems and romantic situations.

For example, "soba ni kite" sounds more romantic than "chikaku ni kite."
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread