Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

Translate this old writing? 2014/7/25 00:53
hello could someone please help translate this old writings?

(i can't post image so i link an image here, tried re-write the kanji but computer can't recognize my writings)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzInMflRJ7UYS0t1cGZCUFVEa1E/edit?usp=...
by ric (guest)  

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/25 16:51
THere are too many symbols that I do not recognize as Japanese..
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/26 10:36
is that mean that isn't Japanese writings...
by ricx (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/26 11:41
that is not Japanese.
maybe, old(ancient) Chinese letters.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/26 14:57
The flower and stars seems very modern. Maybe it's just a design with no meaning (or just something that means something only to the artist). I wonder whwere you got it from. Wrapping paper?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/30 01:14
no, my dad's relative ask me what it say. so i try internet, old guy in my country don't know internet ;)

its leather, does looks old, his dad pass it, before, it was his grandad's and so on... but he don't know what it say or what it is, thats why he ask me.

well trying my luck on the net :P

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzInMflRJ7UYRVNYbjFGeGd0aE0/edit?usp=...
by ric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/30 03:31
Yes, I agree there are many characters that don't even look anything like kanji. The person who wrote it wasn't comfortable writing them either (shows from the handwriting).
The stamp looks more Chinese than Japanese. I don't think it is even Chinese.
The stars and flowers are, as Uco mentioned, modern looking. The whole thing looks kinda childish.
Where is that relative from? Does he know if it is anything important at all? Might only have sentimental value, IMO.
Also, there are treatments that can make a new piece of leather look old. Why would an Asian write on leather anyways. If it was Arabic, for example, it would make more sense. But Asians had paper before the rest of the world.
A lot of things don't make sense. That relative is playing a trick on you! lol
by Minerva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/30 04:08
dunno about that sentimental value...

but... to re-think again...

haha, that would be cold joke he's making }:/
that old hag...

well guys i really appreciate all your thoughts, comments and help. well again, Thank You guys.
by ric (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/30 04:38
I meant to indirectly say that it most probably has no value. But since you said it was passed down two generations, I thought its only value could be sentimental.

Just tell him it says his grandfather hid a magnificent treasure in the north pacific ocean near the border of Fukushima, and it is his will that his grandson goes there personally and finds it by diving naked.

You are welcome.

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/30 10:17
Are you sure that's leather and not canvas? It's definitely looks like some kind of fabric...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/30 22:50
The stripy texture/pattern looks more like woven canvas than leather, but it still doesn't make sense. The handwriting is awful, and the rest of the motifs other than the mountains are completely non-asian. There is a major lack of refinement and artistry, which is very unusual for anything Asian related. Looks more like a work of some western kid, with a false mental image and no knowledge.

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/31 00:07
Not so fast

I am not an expert in Asian calligraphy but having been in the book trade for a number of years, there is something that tells me that there is more to this than meets the eye.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to create this. On leather ? Could it be Mongolian ?
or some other lesser known peoples ?

Sorry, but I have a feeling that it is not a fake. I think that further study is in order. Just to be sure. If Im wrong so be it.
But it just might be a rare type of document.

by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/31 00:54
Or;

if not leather as one poster stated. It might be a sack or bag face that contained some tea or rice. The character in the upper left, in a oval "cartuche" might be accompany name.

We have a mystery !
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/7/31 01:38
That is not Mongolian, no. Also, while not an expert in Asian calligraphy, I am a bit familiar with most ancient and " lesser known peoples " writing.
I don't know how much trouble one could have gone trough to create that, but if I have a piece of paper, leather, or canvas with some ink, I can neatly copy the same thing in two minutes.
From its appearance, if it was in fact created for some sort of trade, it must have been a very low grade one.
All that said, if someone is willing to give this a further study, they are more than welcome to do so. After all, who knows, I could be wrong - This is only my opinion.

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/8/1 17:33
Not sure what this is but, this look like 2 different people have written it.

in the last line the signs which look like "‚Ä" you can see a writting difference between two of them.

And the ink is pretty light for some caracters like in the Title the 1 3 5 are darker than the 2 4.

I think this was a greating card from an Asian region, somewhere in the west of the chinese mountain region, I deduce that from the mountain chain, Japan have a big mountain and not multiple.

Usually the Sun is always placed in the directy where itLs get up so it could be say that this card if from a country which is west of a mountain chain.

The red stamp look like the origine maybe Vietnam, Laos, Burma... ?

Remove the Text, the stars and the flower.
You can than imagine what I mean.

I would guess that this is a card which someone has bought in one of this country, I would guess an adult with a child, the child have write the card mainly and had decorated it, the adult took over the difficult sign and rewrote the bad one. I would tip on a Chinese family from a region where at that time not so much people could write.
by Uriziel rate this post as useful

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/8/1 17:42
As this is since about 2 generations in his family so arround it 1890~1910 I think it was made the story is:

His great-grandfather was on a trip in this region met a Chinese family which was in trouble ? Helped them out spended some time with them and as a thanks they made him that.

We could say you what really happened if we could know what is written there.

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/8/1 18:07
So we go back to it having merely sentimental value.
But then I wonder why it would be passed down, if it is something like you mentioned. Unless it is some sort of prayer or lucky charm that Mr.grandfather found effective, made by a kid working at a certain temple from who-knows-where?

* mumbles * I still think its just a trick by Mr.relative * coughs *

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/8/1 18:23
Also, why a greeting card from China is not made of paper? They had paper since Han dynasty!
I doubt that writing is from Laos or Burma. Vietnamese, though? I wouldn't know.

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/8/2 05:12
Well when my grandfather will die I will receive postal stamp collection, that would be the same case. For me the collection has no real relation, but for him it had.

Well I said itLs not from China itLs from a border country, look at the red stamp this signs are not chinese not even close.

then if we look at that time, yes they had paper, but arround 1900 I donLt presume that all had it, it was more a luxurious good.

But that wasnLt my point, the border country like laos or burma in a part of the country near the mountain are more like small and poor villages at that time.

But ILm not here to get into an argument, OP will have to choose himself.

Re: Translate this old writing? 2014/8/2 09:11
A stamp collection is a bit different than one piece of note. Also, it was passed down two generations. If you inherit a mare piece of writing with no significant value to yourself I wonder if you would keep it a lifetime and pass it down to your son. Even if you do, again, its value will only be sentimental.

Handmade paper is made all over Asia, even the poorest most remote parts. It is not very difficult to make to be a luxury item.
Also, 1900 is not that long ago, specially considering they had it since Han's.

"I think this was a greating card from an Asian region, somewhere in the west of the chinese mountain region"

" His great-grandfather was on a trip in this region met a Chinese family which was in trouble ? Helped them out spended some time with them and as a thanks they made him that. "

" Well I said itLs not from China itLs from a border country, look at the red stamp this signs are not chinese not even close. "

I also mentioned in my very first comment here that the stamp is not Chinese.

No one is here to argue. We are all simply sharing our ideas ( providing and eliminating ) about the question, of course all to help OP find the correct answer.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

reply to this thread