Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can anyone help me decipher Japanese address? 2014/7/28 10:03
I have a small package i want to send to a friend in japan, but neither of us really know how I should fill out the USPS form on their website. I have tried many times but i just can't figure it out. Obviously, it's not super cheap and I do not want to send it to the wrong place -_-.

I do not want to post their address for privacy reasons, Can anyone message me or allow me to message them?
by blueiron  

Re: Can anyone help me decipher Japanese address? 2014/7/28 12:45
There is a general guide here:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2224.html

I've sent you a message.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can anyone help me decipher Japanese address? 2014/7/28 17:57
If you can take it to a post office, then just print the address, in Japanese, on paper, then glue/tape the paper to the package. As long as it says JAPAN at the bottom, you will have no trouble. If you can use the small green customs form, just put down gift as the contents, and some nominal value, such as $5 or $10. Unless they changed it, the small green form doesn't ask for addresses.

Dealing with the government online is often full of problems like this. Just go in person, smile, and act stupid. That always works for me. The postal clerk will do whatever it takes to get you out of their hair, as quickly as possible.

by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can anyone help me decipher Japanese address? 2014/7/28 18:40
I have a small package i want to send to a friend in japan, but neither of us really know how I should fill out the USPS form on their website.

It's pretty straightforward to do online once you recognize what goes where, and you can input everything in romaji. The link that AK posted should explain most questions, but there are some Japanese addresses that have slightly more confusing formats. But it should get there fine as long as you have the name, address 1 (inc. building and apartment number if applicable), and postal code correct.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Postal code for addresses in Japan 2014/7/29 20:15
If you do not know the postal code for your friendfs address, hopefully AK may help you to confirm it.
If your friendfs address in Japan which you have now is complete and also the correct postal code is given, Japan Post workers can locate the address, regardless of whether it is written in a Japanese original style or in a European style.

A 7-digit postal code (in 000-0000 form) for addresses in Japan corresponds to one or a few districts.
Whether a postal matter is delivered smoothly to an address in Japan may well depend on whether a correct postal code is given.
e.g.
If you give "150-0041, Tokyo, Japan" you can find Jinnan district of Shibuya-ku in Tokyo on Google Map.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Can anyone help me decipher Japanese address? 2014/7/29 22:06
omotenashi-san,

blueiron had all the parts of the address, including the postal code. I guess the difficulty must have been about on which line to place what (different numbers and sections of an address). I hope blueiron has been able to ship out the parcel:)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Can anyone help me decipher Japanese address? 2014/7/29 23:25
Dear AK: I see.... That may be a headache for people who are not familiar with various address systems in Japan.

A possible merit of giving a correct postal code is that the address may be located even if its description has been changed (for example due to a merger of municipalities) and the new one is unknown.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread