Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/7/31 14:38
I know it is possible for Asian Americans to become ALTs. I am a Chinese American who wants to apply for Interac. What I want to know is, will it be much harder for me to get a job with them if I am an Asian rather than white?

I am sorry if this question has been asked many times already but I searched the forums and nothing came up.
by Anonymous (guest)  

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/7/31 18:17
While there is an expectation that they might want the stereotypical White Guy/Gal, it shouldn't be a major factor.

If you can't get into JET, I hear Berlitz and Interac are good placement agencies at elementary and middle schools for almost the same salary as JET.
by Torinn88 rate this post as useful

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/8/1 01:03
Interac is one of the bigger companies. I reckon it's the smaller companies that are more likely to discriminate so I doubt you'll have an issue.
by Jemineye rate this post as useful

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/8/1 04:48
I am Japanese who used to work for an ALT agent (but not one you mentoned).
It depend on what your mother tongue is.
If your mother tonguse is Chinese, I am sorry you cannot apply this position even if you speak English fluently.
The reason why they employ native speakers is, because B.O.E demand teachers who can teach correct grammer and correct expression, and correct pronunciation.
However, as long as your mother tongue is English, race is no problem, shcools are trying to correct a preconception that English speakers = White.
by Emi-Obasan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/8/1 05:15
Thanks for the informative replies everyone. I am a native speaker who was born in America so I will give it a try and apply. c:
by Anonymous (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/8/2 11:29
I am an ALT for the JET Programme, and I must say that it definitely is not impossible! While I myself am a Caucasian American, every single new JET coming to my city this year is Asian American, from what I've heard. I think there are 4 or 5 new people coming. So don't worry! :)

Also, my husband is Cuban/Peruvian American and does NOT look at all like the blonde-haired, blue eyed stereotype. He has black hair, brown eyes, tan skin, and is 5'5". He is also working here! The kids love him. He was even offered a job by Interac (though turned it down because he was placed in Hokkaido and I work in Hiroshima).

Good luck!
by GoLizzy rate this post as useful

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/8/2 17:48
The JET Program actually strives for diversity, so being white is not really an advantage over any other race.

Interac is likely the same.

If I were you, I'd focus on making sure your application is well-written and that your interview goes well...
by Jam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Asian Americans as ALTs? 2014/8/3 06:50
no it isn't harder for oriental people. Quite the oppposite.
People of East Asian descent are grossly over-represented amongst the English teaching population.
by not the walrus rate this post as useful

reply to this thread