Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Safe/fun karaoke lounge/bar suggestions? 2014/8/9 08:14
I often go out to karaoke lounges/bars in the US which I prefer over private karaoke rooms. I am wondering if anyone can suggest some places that have a good atmosphere and are relatively safe (for a female traveler) in Japan (Tokyo or Osaka areas) -- and of course that have some English songs. Thanks!
by applegak (guest)  

Re: Safe/fun karaoke lounge/bar suggestions? 2014/8/11 04:06
If I'm not mistaken, the karaoke scene in the US is more of a public thing and in Japan it's a private thing. There are many karaoke places in the Shibuya area that range from having single standing room booths to group lounges where private karaoke parties are held.

I'm sure there's bound to be a bar/izakaya that has karaoke, but I tend to think the mentality is different in Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Safe/fun karaoke lounge/bar suggestions? 2014/8/11 12:52
There are many, many bars that have karaoke in Tokyo, but they tend to be small, seven-seat counters where you sing at your seat. And they would be very uncomfortable for a patron who doesn't speak Japanese - kind of the equivalent of crashing a private party at someone's house where you don't speak the language. The bars also tend to be older and not particularly stylish.

I think there is, or was, an English-language karaoke bar in Hiroo, but I wouldn't really describe it as a place with a nice atmosphere.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread