Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

translation phone apps 2014/8/14 21:12
Hi was wondering if anyone has recommendations for translation apps for Android. English to japanese.
Thanks!
by Shogun26  

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/15 09:40
What exactly do you need it for? Google Translate is probably the best free app around for short phrases or even paragraphs, and it supports voice input and camera input too.
by Green Frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/15 11:07
I find the Naritra app by Narita Airport to be reasonably good:

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/fun/app/naritra/index.html

While you're there check out their new Tabimori travel app too:

http://www.japan-guide.com/news/0030.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/15 11:23
Thanks for the suggestion! Not sure I really need it at all, but someone suggested to me it might be better than my little berlitz phrase book. Just thought id ask around :)
by Shogun26 rate this post as useful

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/15 13:15
as Green Frog suggestion, best and free android translation app will be google translation.

you can use the camera function, just snap the picture highlight the word to be translate, and bob's your uncle.

also can use the handwriting function, speech.

work good as well reverse English to Japanese, the speech function will do great.

best you can download all the data, so that it will work even if you are not connected online.
by google translate app (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/15 19:04
Google's user interface is definitely one of the best, and great for translating specific kanji that you might encounter. The only complaint I have is that their translations for sentences and phrases are not reliable. It's usually pretty close, but I get obviously wrong translations enough of the time that I don't really trust it. This applies to all apps that leverage google translate for their back end btw.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/16 01:28
Excite Japanese translation app. Designed J to E mostly, but does do E to J.

Web link to the bing and Google translators. http://www.bing.com/translator/

Narita voice translator as noted.

Swype keyboard with Dragon dictate with Japanese language installed. Super easy swyping in Japanese words, and allows voice to text of Japanese and English. (Yes, Google keyboard does this too, but the less we give Google, the less the CIA knows.)

Ebpocket with Genius and/or kenkyusha dictionaries for word translations.

Camdictionary and duodict for camera word translations.

---

In short, bing is sufficient for most uses written, Narita for spoken.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: translation phone apps 2014/8/21 12:03
Docomo customers can use a pretty powerful translation app called Hanashite Hon'yaku.
by shanen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread