Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/22 13:49
I'll be coming to Japan in September and will be staying approx. one year.

I've already been to Japan once three years ago, also for a year, and that time I had a Softbank Prepaid phone. To my amaze, I found out, that nowadays lots of data-only SIM-cards are available in Japan and that you can even buy them on Amazon.

However, I'm a bit confused. Back when I had the Softbank Prepaid plan, I needed to go to the store and present two documents proving my Japanese residence address. I can't believe that now I can just go and buy some SIM-card from Amazon and not do anything. So that's why I want to know now: what documents will I need before I can purchase a (data only) SIM card from e.g. b-mobile or u-mobile? Can I even purchase those at all without a Japanese bank account or credit card? (I have a VISA card but it's not issued in Japan obviously)

I'd be really happy if somebody could answer my questions.
by jessy589  

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/22 14:21
I can't believe that now I can just go and buy some SIM-card from Amazon and not do anything.

There are essentially two types of sim cards - data only, and data+voice

Data only cards don't require any special documents to purchase, but data+voice cards may require that you provide ID to purchase them.

So that's why I want to know now: what documents will I need before I can purchase a (data only) SIM card from e.g. b-mobile or u-mobile?

none

Can I even purchase those at all without a Japanese bank account or credit card? (I have a VISA card but it's not issued in Japan obviously)

Some companies allow paying by COD or at the convenience store (ala amazon), but generally it's pay in advance by credit card. You can usually use a non-Japanese credit card. A few companies, like b-mobile are carried in B+M electronics stores.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/22 19:57
Thank you!
It still sounds almost too good to be true, but I guess I can try purchasing one of those cards then.
by jessy589 rate this post as useful

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/22 23:09
(I have a VISA card but it's not issued in Japan obviously)

I checked three companies. They all require payment by credit card. Two of the three says foreign issued cards are not accepted. The third one probably doesn't accept it either but doesn't say it upfront.

Let us know if you find one that accepts foreign cards or payment at convenience store.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/25 16:23
Who have you checked? How about econnect? Their plan comes out to 4100 yen per month:

https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim/

Some of the b-mobile plans may be cheaper if you don't use lots of data. They can be purchased via amazon Japan with foreign credit cards.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i...

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/27 06:41
Who have you checked? How about econnect?

Prepaid cards seem to be fine. You can buy those at the convenience store and use it right away?? I think.

I was looking at the ones with monthly plans. You can buy those at amazon with a foreign credit card. However, when you get the card you have to register at the provider's website and that's when the foreign card becomes an issue.

I checked iijmio/bic, biglobe, and bmobile. The first two says no foreign cards.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/27 11:20
B-mobile's regular prepaids require activation but no foreign card is necessary, you just punch in an activation number from the packaging.

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/27 15:45
Also try So-net.

If you don't use huge amounts of data, but like it fast this may be for you. You get 1GB for 3000yen (after initial SIM with 100MB), valid for 2 months, so it works out to about 1500yen/month.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Documents needed to use data only SIM 2014/8/27 17:10
I forgot to mention, So-net is valid for 2 months on every 3000yen prepaid recharge.

And the SIM pack is available retail, in the following locations:

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/prepaid/en/buy/index.html

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread