Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gift ideas for Host Family 2014/8/30 19:03
I'm planning to bring my host family in Japan (a couple in their 30s) some Aussie wine. Does anyone know if there are brands/varieties that are generally received well? Or is Wine a bad idea to begin with? I also have a small assortment of local chocolate truffles and a jar of local honey.. Would the combination of all 3 be a good idea as a gift?
by Terato  

Re: Gift ideas for Host Family 2014/8/31 13:01
I think the wine along with the other gifts is a good idea, that way if one of them doesn't drink, then they can enjoy your other presents still.

The only wine brand every Japanese person will have heard of is Beaujolais. So whatever you bring will be nice!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Gift ideas for Host Family 2014/8/31 17:45

The only wine brand every Japanese person will have heard of is Beaujolais. So whatever you bring will be nice!

Too bad it is usually the worse wine you find in France (especially the "Beaujoulais Nouveau") but Japanese people like it so much.

Japan is the country where the most people drink I think so it's unlikely that the wine would not work and even if they don't drink they will be happy you brought some I think.

I'd say try to be original and bring food they might not like as well (just don't bring only that) so you can have fun together when they discover more strange food. Like for example, Japanese people should bring natto if they go abroad
by meneldal rate this post as useful

Re: Gift ideas for Host Family 2014/8/31 20:32
A jar of local honey is fine.
Japanese people don't drink so much wines especially at home(drink outside occasionally).
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread