Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/19 13:11
I know for a fact that if I were visiting in Japan and wanted to go to an onsen, with my tattoo on my right arm, I would not be allowed in. It's not even that big at all, let alone look offensive. It's the DevilDriver cross logo and the top touches my shoulder, well covered up. I also know for certain that may not be allowed in any food shop and restaurants because of it and the signs posted. In short what do most Japanese people think about Western people such as myself with a single tattoo? Thanks for taking time to read this. I appreciate the helpful input.
by ShadowRaven13  

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/19 14:35
I know for a fact that if I were visiting in Japan and wanted to go to an onsen, with my tattoo on my right arm, I would not be allowed in.

Based on your description I wouldn't say that it's a fact that you won't be let in. Unless you meant to say that you are unable to fully cover it up?

I also know for certain that may not be allowed in any food shop and restaurants because of it and the signs posted.

I don't think this will be a problem. Tattoos are generally prohibited at gyms, pools, and hot springs, but I've never seen a restaurant with a no tattoo policy.

In short what do most Japanese people think about Western people such as myself with a single tattoo?

They generally understand it's a fashion trend or cultural decoration in foreign countries, and don't really pay much attention to them except for maybe around places where they are prohibited.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/19 17:56
My Japanese friends (both male and female) think that tattoos on women are horrible and low class.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/19 21:36
I always get a little annoyed when people generalize about "the Japanese" or "most Japanese people" and make broad statements about "them," so I was kind of glad to see Seiko's clear statement. I'm afraid that I have to say that the Japanese people I know feel roughly the same way as Seiko's friends, and that feeling extends to tattoos on men. That's the simple truth about specific Japanese individuals I know, period.

Of course, not all Japanese people feel the same way. Some do, some don't. And most of them will likely keep any negative perceptions more or less to themselves. (If they have positive perceptions they are more likely to reveal them.) Like yllwsmrf, I have never seen a restaurant with a sign indicating that people with tatoos are not allowed. The prohibitions at onsens and swimming pools are well known, but they generally don't extend to other facilities and places of business.

Anybody who has tats and wants to vacation in Japan has to figure out how to handle the onsen thing and be prepared for some stony glares or possibly a little worse, but that shouldn't stop them from going there.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/20 01:09
I'm from Germany and have some tattoos on both of my arms. I have visited Japan this year in late may, so my tattoos were very visible.

I read about Japan and tattoos before my travel, but I thought it isn't such a thing. In Germany nobody cares about tattoos, nobody looks at you. I think many people in Germany also doesn't like tattoos, but it doesn't matter.

In Japan the people looked more at me and it was a little bit other feeling, I was very surprised. But I liked it and it was ok for me. I had no problems, nobody said something or reacted disrespectful. The exception was a older man who pointed at one of my tattoos and said something. I don't know what he meant, but he don't looked angry or anything, was also no problem (-:

I think some younger people liked the tattoos, hard to tell (-;

Very interesting and frightening was a japanese friend of me. We met for the first time. I had told him about the tattoos and he said it's ok, no problem. As he saw the tattoos he said not good and he wanted that I cover the tattoos. It was hot and I had no long clothes, so I said it isn't possible. He accepted it and we had a nice time together and maybe will meet again at my next travel to Japan in november. I was totaly surprised that tattoo could be such a theme.

I think Uma is totally right with that he says.
by Daniel (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/20 12:14
I've recently moved to Tokyo, and I also have one single tattoo on my neck, so it's sometimes visible sometimes covered, depending on my hairdo.

I know from what my Japanese boyfriend has told me, that, generally speaking, tattoos are non considered particularly classy. I have had some comments and questions more out of curiosity than judgment from his friends, and genuine questions on whether or not I was allowed to show it at work from his parents.

I have a feeling that, even if here tattoos are not considered very tasteful, there is a general understanding that they are common in Europe and America. And that's where it ends. I mean as an Italian I find socks with high heels a really poor fashion choice, but I understand it can be fashionable here... ;)
by Brida rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/20 17:24
I find some tattoos absolutely beautiful and some of the Japanese ones are amazing works of art.

What I don't like is people with a whole bunch of tattoos that do not relate to one another in anyway.
Each tattoo has a different style, some are well done, others look as if a child went mad with a knife and colours etc.

They all clash badly with one another.

It is a bit like writing a whole long paragraph and using not only a different font for each word but also a different size for each word..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/20 18:13
I think it's slightly different depending on whether the person is just "visiting" or living here in Japan.

For visitors like the OP (with the small tattoo), I think a lot of the Japanese may think, "Oh, that's different." but that would be about it.

Meanwhile, if you're living here, whether you are non-Japanese or not, people would apparently wonder how you make a living while enjoying unique styles, because they know that many work places in Japan do not allow their employees to be showing their tattoos. So people would come up with specific questions such as the ones that Brida was asked.

It would all make sense if the person works in industries such as fashion, art or bartending, and have no kids to take to the pool, but if the person works in a bank one would wonder, "How does she get away with that?"

By the way, as a Japanese resident, I trully think Red frog hit the nail with the "font" expression ;)
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/21 01:13
As stated most of the time people won't care, especially in the cities. Although if you go into the sticks and use an onsen then prepared to get some hassle, although going off season and asking first can save heartache as I had a friend who was kicked out of a ryokan for having a tattoo on his back.
by Jamtex rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/24 03:39
In Japan, because only members of the yakuza/underworld/mafia have tattoos; it is generally disliked/frowned.

It's not a form of self-expression as it is in western cultures. Please remember that this is a homogenous society ('group think'). So as you might cover up to enter some churches in Europe, it would be respectful to cover tattoos up as much as possible.
by Kuniko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/24 10:45
How much of a problem are tattoos in the hotel gym? If we cover it up, I presume it isn't going to be an issue?

Are piercings banned as well?
by welles (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/24 12:09
How much of a problem are tattoos in the hotel gym?

You'll have to check the hotel policy, but they are often prohibited there too.

If we cover it up, I presume it isn't going to be an issue?

It could be an issue, but depends on the situation.

Are piercings banned as well?

No
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/24 13:36
In Japan, because only members of the yakuza/underworld/mafia have tattoos; it is generally disliked/frowned.

This is not true!
Some young japanese people have tattoos and they are not members of yakuza or related to criminal activities. They often like alternative culture, but there is nothing illegal about that.
by K0DAMA rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/24 13:47
Kodama is right. No matter how rural a place you live in, every person who reads the papers or watch TV in Japan knows that.

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/26 18:31
Wow!

I had no idea that tattoos where an issue in Japan or for Japanese people. Though I have never been to Japan, I lived in Hawaii for about 8 1/2 years in the 90's & I met a lot of Japanese people, and had a lot of Japanese friends some of which had tattoos themselves. I never heard any negative comments about them or topics. This is something very new to me. Honestly for me I could care less what someone has on their body or what they wear as long as they are nice to me, and don't make drama. I don't have any tattoos myself but I am not against having them, just never seen anything I wanted to see the rest of my life on my body. Would I get one? Maybe, maybe not... Would I care what others think about it? No, tough its my body & if you don't like it, don't look at it!

Hmmm so this was interesting...
by AWFordJr rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/9/28 07:28
On the beach in Kamakura, all the restaurants have "no tattoo" signs. In Shirahama I saw no such signs, and in fact there were heavily tattooed Yakuza looking types in the outdoor onsen in the middle of the beach.
by KarlMarx rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/10/3 01:01
I've been living in Japan for 10 years, married with children. Pretty much the only vacations we take are to onsens around the country, I've been to dozens. I have 2 colored, mediumish sized tattoos, one on my forearm and one a bit higher, below the shoulder.

In dozens of experiences, I've been asked ONE time to cover it up by a staff member, and it was rather recently (last year). That was the first time anyone ever said anything to me about it.

I told the guy that next time I entered I would cover it up, he said "okay" and then I never saw him again (I stayed there 2 nights and went back a couple more times, never did cover it up and never had any further trouble).

Now, to be fair, some of the places I've been to DO have signs saying "no tattoos". But I hardly make it a secret that I have them. I don't cover them up, and I've usually just walked right on by the staff as I entered the bathing areas...

I've also seen, an uncountable number of times, Japanese men with the full body or near full body tattoos in some of these onsen.

Here's some advice if you don't have massive amounts of tattoos all over yourself: go to the onsen. Have your tattoo covered up when you enter so the staff at the check-in counter or just outside the entrance to the bathing area can't see it. Enter the changing room. Make sure the staff (and other customers too) aren't zeroed in on you. Get undressed quickly and get into the onsen area.

Carry in a small hand towel, try to keep the tattoo covered when your in the open. Once you get into the onsen area, there's usually a lot of steam and it's usually dim in there, hard to make out features. Take a shower and by the time you get into the water your safe.

I don't even do that and I've never had any trouble. That's what I would do if I thought the place was going to be a bit strict about the tattoos. Most of the time, there's hardly any onsen employees around.

Another thing to keep in mind is this: BEWARE OF OTHER BATHERS. Especially old people! In general, I would imagine that employees don't really care about your tattoos! If they don't see it, then it ain't hurting them! Here's where the trouble happens: Some tattle-tale who is aghast that someone could dare enter the onsen with a tattoo gets offended and notifies the staff. The staff then have no choice but to confront you about your tattoo. I think this is what happened to me the ONE time I've ever been confronted.

Regarding swimming pools too. I'm a member of the local public swimming pool here. I make no attempt to cover my tattoos up. If you live in Japan and want to go to a gym/pool without the annoyance of having to cover it up, then join the public ones. I've seen Japanese people with tattoos at my gym/pool too. If you try to join a "brand" place, like for example Konami Sports, then it's going to be an issue. The public gyms/pools are just as good, cheaper, and no one will care about the tattoos.

by Mr. Bolo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/10/4 10:05
I've seen Japanese young men with many tattoos in an onsen in ibusuki (Kyushu), possibly Yakuza, but nobody even paid attention to them. I was surprised they were even let in but people reacted as if it is normal...
by Zeevy rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/10/9 09:44
Our short time in Japan reinforce the notion that the people are coming to terms with tattoos even for women and becoming more acceptable in mainstream culture.

We didn't have any problems entering an onsen at the ryokan despite having a regulation stating "No tattoos permitted". In fact no one was there to stop us when we entered the pool. There were 2 Japanese middle-aged women in the pool but they did not react negatively to the tattoos.

Similarly we had no problem going to the gym in the hotel. The gym attendant didn't react badly at all and was all polite and helpful.

When we walked around Tokyo, people generally looked at the tattoos more out of curiosity than scorn or contempt and we were not banned from shops or restaurants at all.

Our experience suggests that people are accepting this more and more. In the younger generation, it may even become trendy and fashionable to have one very soon. There were Japanese men with tattoos although we have yet to sport a Japanese woman with one.
by welles (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do Japanese people react to tattoos? 2014/10/9 10:30
Being associated with rock music and drinking at bars as a Japanese female resident, I notice that we have a fair share of young Japanese women with tattoos. I know some women with quite heavy ones showing on their arms. I even know a public elementary school teacher with a small one on her back (although she keeps it as a secret at school).

All those I know are ordinary nice, young, hard-working women, a bit on the sporty side. And they're not related to yakuza. Good to know that people are having less or no problem at public places, probably thanks to the nice attitude of users with tattoos.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread