Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/9/19 18:36
Hi everyone!

I will soon be residing in Japan under a student visa. I would like to ask which is the best and cheapest SIM card that I can get that has data (unlimited preferably - speed does not matter though) and would allow me to do call and text.

I found a data-only SIM on b-mobile http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/xsim/index.html and the Plan N that they offer seems a good choice for me. I am thinking of using Viber Out to make calls to my contacts in Japan. However, I am not sure if this SIM allows me to receive a regular phone call and regular texts. I don't know if I understand correctly, but will this SIM assign me a Japan number? Can I give that number for people to call me? (sorry, I really have no idea on these kind of things ^^)

Suggestions on other kinds of SIM are also very much welcome ^^

Thank you so much for your help! ^_^
by Arvee (guest)  

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/9/19 19:38
data only means no voice service.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/9/20 23:13
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/fd/plan.html

voice sim,
(campaign signup 8/1-10/31 2014 free data 1GB/month one year option plan).

initial fee for simcard 3000yen
monthly 1560yen
voice call 20yen/30secs
unlimited data at 200kbps
(campaign signup: Best effort LTE4G speed upto 1GB then 200kbps)
all prices not shown including tax 8%
by try this.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/9/20 23:16
forgot to mention you'll get a local/jp phone no.
people can call you on the no.

thr is 3000yen cancellation fee if cancel before 1 year..
by by try this.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/9/21 05:38
So, basically if I sign up by October, I get free 1GB? The above plan seems quite good, thanks.
by Coolio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/10/4 12:58
Hi!

If I choose the bmobile that has voice and 1 GB free data, is it also applicable to new subscribers? Or only to those who are renewing their contract?

Thank you
by Arvee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/10/12 11:41
This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does bmobile work?

Are there stores? Or is it all online?

I'll be in tokyo for 2 weeks before moving to southernn Japan for 2 years.

so I would love to be able to get a SIM card for my phone within the first couple of days, but the other thread about bmobile said they need proof that you'll be here for at least a year. If I remember correctly you need proof so I'm assuming your alien registration card... Which I believe I read it can take a couple weeks to get? Some ALTs said they only got it 4 weeks in. I would like to have a phone before then.
by Confused (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best SIM with data, voice and text 2014/10/13 22:28
If you're in Japan for a short visit, you can get their visitor SIM card, which is for tourists.

If you're in Japan for the long haul, you can get a regular SIM card from Yodobashi Camera(or online). I believe you need to have a Zairyu card to activate the SIM card.
by Raptors rate this post as useful

reply to this thread