Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/26 06:09
Has anyone recently (in 2014) used BoA ATM card to withdraw money in Tokyo or Kyoto?
1) Are these ATMs still located in the post offices and 7-11 stores?
2)Is there any processing fee incuured by BoA?
3) Any upper limit?

I will be leaving on Oct. 20, 2014. So a prompt reply would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
kt
by kt (guest)  

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/26 12:03
You'll have to talk to your bank, first to allow withdrawals overseas, since they'll void any transaction you may try unless you tell them in advance. The rate varies, but it's usually 3% but check your bank. And the limit is set by the bank as well, usually $1000/day.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/26 13:18
1) Are these ATMs still located in the post offices and 7-11 stores?

Yes, it still works with the post office and 7-11 atms

2)Is there any processing fee incuured by BoA?

The last time I did it it was a $5 fee plus the 3% on the exchange rate

3) Any upper limit?

Whatever your daily atm withdrawal limit is, up to the limit of the particular atm that you are using (which is several thousand dollars). If you need large amounts of money then use the postal atms over the 7-11 atms.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/26 16:03
You'll have to talk to your bank, first to allow withdrawals overseas, since they'll void any transaction you may try unless you tell them in advance.

That depends on the bank. In my experience, Schwab bank put a hold after the 3rd transaction without prior notification. TDAmeritrade did not disallow any transactions without prior notification.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/26 21:46
One call to BoA will settle all the OP's concerns.

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/27 07:22
Thank you ALL very much for your prompt replies! Your info are VERY helpful!

I did talk with my BofA rep but he could not offer any help. :/

Cheers,
kt
by kt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/27 08:13
Perhaps people at the local branch may not be trained in all the nuances of overseas banking. Have you tried the 800 number? If you have, then I'd ask to talk to a supervisor or someone who knows about foreign transaction limits and penalties.

Re: Using Bank of America ATM card in Japan 2014/9/27 10:12
Yes, you had better speak to someone knowledgeable or else you might find yourself unable to withdraw money. Call the number on the back of your ATM card. That's what I do with all my bank and credit cards before I travel....so far no problems...
Have a great trip!
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread