Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/16 15:17
Hi

I will be travelling to Japan end Oct 14 for 4D3N and I'm not sure to get a calling IDD Card or sim card during my stay.

Concern is to call back home during travel and if possible to surf the net.

Would appreicate advise.

Thanks
by CC (guest)  

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/16 16:15
Concern is to call back home during travel and if possible to surf the net.

In that case a prepaid data card is the only option of the two. Use a internet phone service such as skype to do your calling.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/17 14:06
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry that I forgot to mentioned that there's no wifi at home and parent dont know how to use wifi even if there is one.

Therefore, skype is out for me.

Given what was mentioned, I have to chose either or and not both?

So, how about only on call back home? Any recommendation? This is my 1st upmost cocern.

Thanks
by CC (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/17 14:30
Therefore, skype is out for me.

Purchase some skype credit. With it you can call regular telephones visa your computer/internet device.

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/17 14:48
All the SIM card sold or rented for foreign visitors to Japan are data only SIM, which means you can't make a phone call. I heard it's like that by the law for some reasons. So, you could buy a IDD phone card or buy or rent a SIM and make a call using Skype or Viber and etc. If you don't have a smartphone, then buying an international calling card will be good.

You can buy a prepaid SIM at the airport or rent one from global communication service, sakura mobile, CD Japan...etc. CD japan has a cheap rental SIM for 1 week.

bmobile
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/japan_sim.html

CD japan
http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_10.html
sakura mobile
http://www.sakuramobile.jp/
by hanako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/21 17:15
Thanks for the help

I will look into Skype credit. Heard from friend "Line" also not bad, but will look at Skype first.

For the calling/sim card.

For Bmobile, seems have devices restriction, my mobile model not within the list of supporting devices :(

Will look into CDJapan, hope there's no devices restriction.

Thanks again for the help

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/21 17:18
For Bmobile, seems have devices restriction, my mobile model not within the list of supporting devices :(

Rather than restrictions, it's a non-comprehensive list of devices that have been tested and verified to work on b-mobile. Generally speaking, if your device fits the technical specs it should work even if it is not on the list of officially supported devices.

Re: Calling Card or Sim Card 2014/10/24 11:33
Hi

I have checked with one of the company, and had checked on my phone spec. Only one of the frequency met and accordingly to them, the frequency is a weak one and may not be able to use at some area.

Thus, on precaution side, I rent their mobile wifi instead. Although price a bit higher but since I'm not sure about the frequency strength and also partly on their good customer service and fast response reply as compare to couple of others (abit slower since I need to get this settle asap) :)

Thanks for all the help in my query.

CC

reply to this thread