Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Allergy plate in restaurants 2014/10/24 06:56

We will be travelling in Japan for 10 days in January, with two children. The youngest (3 years old) is allergic to dairy and to egg. Thankfully it isn't a life-threatening allergy, but we still need to avoid dairy and egg.

In my research I have seen references to "allergy plates" being available at restaurants as part of the children's menu (mainly chain family restaurants?), but I haven't been able to figure out which restaurants offer them.

Does anyone know? We'll be in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima. I'm brushing up on my kanji for shopping, and my spoken Japanese for asking questions at restaurants. She loves rice and plain fish, so I'm pretty sure we'll always find something she can eat when we are out, but it would be nice to know that there was somewhere we could get a "safe" meal easily for those days when I just want to order something from the menu for her!
by vvviola (guest)  

Re: 2014/10/24 17:58
You can ask any food free of dairy and eggs at most restaurants. To certain to tell them what you need, write on a sheet like that "She can't eat or drink milk and eggs" or "この子には乳製品のアレルギーがあります"
by everydaySunday rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/10/24 19:05
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2014/10/24 19:19
many(almost all) famous family restaurant chains serve low allergen plates.
here is examples.
royal host

hamburger, McDonalds, Mos burger, Rotteria.
gyudon chains, yoshino-ya, matsu-ya,suki-ya,
curry, CoCo-ichiban-ya

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Allergy plate in restaurants 2014/10/25 18:42
As suggested, I don't think there are certain restaurants that serve dishes called "allergy plates," but just that a lot of chain restaurants have a list of ingredients they use for each dish. Needless to say, this can be very useful, because in big chains, people at the very bottom would not know the ingredients included in the packed foods they get from the top, unless they are written down.

Meanwhile, if you go to restaurants run by indivisual chefs, all you have to do is to talk to the chef and they'd cook or recommend something suitable for you.

But perhaps you have it mixed up with the "Allergy Sign Plate" which is a plate meaning "card" not "dish."

An NPO makes these plates and you can obtain them through doctors, but I suppose you can just print it out and show them since you say the allergy is not critical.

In each plate, above the logo that says "Food Allergy Awareness" it says "I have food allergy and" in blue, and then "can't eat!" in red. And above the biggest picture it says "eggs."

If you scroll down, you can see a much smaller picture of a bottle with cow skin design and cheese. This one says "dairy products such as milk and cheese."

But for health matters, don't trust anonymous internet users like me. Be sure to show the plates to someone like a reliable conceirge to have it proof-read.

Bon appetit!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread