Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

App to call/text Japanese phones for free 2014/10/30 03:14
Hi, i just moved to Japan and I'm going to be here for at least a year; so until I can get a decent long-term sim card plan, I was wondering if there was any android app that I could use to call Japanese numbers for free while I'm in Japan. I read that magicAPP can call anywhere in North America for free but only from North America. Is there anything like this for Japan?

Also does anyone know what the best long-term SIM card plans are? I heard B-Mobile has a decent one. I have an international Galaxy S5 with 2 SIM card slots btw, so I could potentially use 2 different SIM plans.
by Mikey V (guest)  

Re: App to call/text Japanese phones for free 2014/10/30 11:48
If you install the LINE app you can talk for free with anyone else who has LINE installed on their smartphone, which in Japan is essentially everyone with a smartphone.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: App to call/text Japanese phones for free 2014/10/31 12:07
I am a tourist, planning to visit Japan soon.
Do you mean I can send a chat message using LINE to my Japanese friend when I am in Japan?
Thank you.
by Jas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: App to call/text Japanese phones for free 2014/10/31 13:27
Line also has voip capabilities to other line users. It works ok, but I don't find it all too reliable.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: App to call/text Japanese phones for free 2014/10/31 16:43
Doesn't LINE require an Internet connection though?
by Jemineye rate this post as useful

Re: App to call/text Japanese phones for free 2014/10/31 18:33
Do you mean I can send a chat message using LINE to my Japanese friend when I am in Japan?

Yes, that's it's main functionality.

Doesn't LINE require an Internet connection though?

Yes, of course.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread