Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/6 01:43
I see her with HIKAKIN, getting interviewed by japanese talk shows and radio stations and she even has a Japanese LINE account with her name written in katakana, Linkin Park has an account and there name is Linkin Park and not written in katakana, what did she do to be so popular there?
by Kisukeyo  

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/7 03:09
I think,
Because, Japanese like her face.

The most popular woman in Japan is Namie Amuro.
Namie is the 10 years number one.

Ariana's face is looks like her.
by maki japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/7 10:35
what did she do to be so popular there?

She became an internationally famous pop singer. The rest naturally followed.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/7 11:36
BTW, whether a name is written in katakana or not has nothing to do with "popularity" and everything to do with how many people recognize the name or not. LINKIN PARK has been a popular band in Japan for many years, so people are more likely to recognize their name without katakana. On the other hand, Ariana Grande is a new artist, so they probably wrote her name in katakana so more people would recognize it.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/7 15:22
scarreddragon, the OP (the "J-rock, slowly going away" thread guy) is saying that Ariana herself has her LINE communication system account in katakana while Linkin Park doesn't.

Every professional foreign artist in Japan has an official katakana version of his/her/their name, but not every one of them use it for a LINE account. I suppose Ariana simply likes katakana.

Girl artists in general seem to be more linked to the "kawaii" culture in Japan and tend to be attached with a lot of Japanese language related aspects. Same goes with Lady Gaga and Katy Perry.

But frankly, I don't really have the impression that Ariana Grande is so successful in Japan. I think most people still don't know her. I suppose you can say that she may be the "next big thing among the youth" though.

http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2136799701315380001
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/7 15:43
Every professional foreign artist in Japan has an official katakana version of his/her/their name, but not every one of them use it for a LINE account. I suppose Ariana simply likes katakana.

Let's be clear that these are most likely media accounts managed by advertising agencies rather than the artists themselves. So most likely, the names are chosen from a promotional standpoint. Linkn Park is probably most recognizable written in English, while Ariana Grande is probably more recognizable in katakana.

But frankly, I don't really have the impression that Ariana Grande is so successful in Japan.

Yea, I get the feeling she's still relatively unknown in Japan.

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/8 00:04
I see, it just seems like she is though, she even has an offical verified japanese twitter, It is shcoking to her that she is well unknown.
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/8 03:00
Just because accounts are in their name doesn't mean that they're popular. People try to get their names in all types of accounts just in case they need to use them in the future and also so no one else uses them. The same goes for net addresses. They'll snatch up all the ,com, .net, etc addresses so as to keep them from being used by someone else.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/9 10:13
It's not just the LINE katakana thing, but I had seen other things that I thought she was popular in Japan.
by Kisukeyo rate this post as useful

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/9 10:29
You probably noticed an uptick in press because she was just in Japan promoting her new album. Btw, it looks like it was part of a cross promotional advertising deal to promote Line in the US.

Re: why is ariana grande so popular in japan? 2014/11/10 02:47
Japan is big market.
because concert ticket is usually $80.00 for $200.00 in japan.
expensive unit price in Japan
by mei (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread