Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Phone Rentals in Japan (Gaijin Prices?) 2014/11/30 10:11
I'm assuming that what I'm finding online is the gaijin price for mobile phone rentals.

I've done some research on the subject of mobile service in Japan (I'm headed there in January) and I've found that:

1. I can't use my current smartphone. (Short story, it's not a regulated device because Samsung is lazy and doesn't care)
2. I can't get a mobile contract because I won't have residency while I'm there. (I'm visiting on a "tourist visa" for 3 months)

What I also found just is so outrageous I can't believe it's possibly true.

I find pricing for mobile phone rentals to be around $1 USD per day (more or less). Understandably, that doesn't cover phone usage. Here's what's ridiculous:

The pricing I'm seeing is about $1 USD PER MINUTE. And that's for voice only.

Unlimited data for a month appears to be around $450 USD per month. That's as much as my rent while I'm there!

This is so extreme I feel the compulsive need to verify that this is indeed the case.

I understand the mobile calls in Japan only charge the caller and the receiver can talk for free. I used to live in Chile so I'm familiar with this system and understandably, it results in higher cost per minute charges.

But even in Chile (A country well known for expensive mobile costs) it didn't exceed more than about 30 US cents per minute.

This is why my mind is blown seeing 100 yen per minute as a talking price.

Please someone tell me this is the gaijin price advertised over the internet and in the airport, but that I can easily pick up a SIM to pop into an eligible phone for a fraction the cost.

While I don't anticipate any extreme need for a mobile number while in Japan, the idea of paying $30 per month for absolutely nothing and being charged an extra $1 per minute if I decide I need to call someone is ridiculous.

Thanks in advance for your input!

JRadtheBad
by jradthebad  

Re: Phone Rentals in Japan (Gaijin Prices?) 2014/11/30 11:40
I'm paying much less than that for both voice and data.
by sumisu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Phone Rentals in Japan (Gaijin Prices?) 2014/11/30 13:10
Certainly that would be the "temporary visitor" scheme as against the far longer-term contracts that the locals/residents sign up (we sign up for minimum 2 years, with extra charge incurred in case of an early termination), but I do not consider it an inflated "gaijin" price, as you put it.

by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Phone Rentals in Japan (Gaijin Prices?) 2014/12/1 12:36
1. I can't use my current smartphone. (Short story, it's not a regulated device because Samsung is lazy and doesn't care)

What model do you have? It doesn't have to be a regulated device to be used with a prepaid/rental sim.

2. I can't get a mobile contract because I won't have residency while I'm there. (I'm visiting on a "tourist visa" for 3 months)

And you wouldn't want to anyway as the early termination fees would be excessive for such a short stay.

What I also found just is so outrageous I can't believe it's possibly true.

Japan has historically high telephone (mobile and landline) and data rates.

I find pricing for mobile phone rentals to be around $1 USD per day (more or less). Understandably, that doesn't cover phone usage.

Yes, and that's comparable or cheaper than in other countries.

The pricing I'm seeing is about $1 USD PER MINUTE. And that's for voice only.

About 90 yen per minute used to be the standard rate, but that price has fallen considerably over the years and you can now find it much cheaper if you shop around.

Unlimited data for a month appears to be around $450 USD per month.

Only with the the most expensive outlets. I presume you found something like softbank rental, which charges essentially 1500 yen per day for unlimited data?

Shop around, you can find unlimited data from about 4000 yen per month, or 70 mb/day (high speed) plans for as little as 1000 yen per month.

While I don't anticipate any extreme need for a mobile number while in Japan, the idea of paying $30 per month for absolutely nothing and being charged an extra $1 per minute if I decide I need to call someone is ridiculous.

Having rented phones in other countries, I don't find these prices all that high. But then again, if you shop around you can find plans with cheaper calling rates. Better yet, go all data if you want to spend as little as absolutely possible.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread