Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What does this symbol mean? 2014/12/6 03:09
I bought this pendant about ten years ago from a street vendor while on a trip to Japan with my parents. I've always wondered what it meant. The vendor gave me the impression it was vaguely inappropriate, but he spoke very little English so I may be wrong about that.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/StogieNinja/1E66FDA6-2A30-484...
by Derek (guest)  

Re: What does this symbol mean? 2014/12/6 08:24
To me it looks like a brushstroke version of Žõ (pronounced "kotobuki" or "ju"), meaning happiness.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What does this symbol mean? 2014/12/6 09:51
Thanks for the reply! In a quick google image search I've noticed this particular Kanji shows up pretty infrequently. Does it have a particular connotation or association in use?
by Derek (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What does this symbol mean? 2014/12/6 11:13
It's "happiness" on a life-event scale... if you know what I mean. So a Žõ occasion may be a marriage, when people turn 77, 80, 88, 90, 99, or 100 year old (by the old counting method) in Japan, or something of the sort. It is a kanji often used for pendants and other accessories, though. It may be more widely used in the Chinese language.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: What does this symbol mean? 2014/12/6 13:45
In a quick google image search I've noticed this particular Kanji shows up pretty infrequently

Did you mean that it comes up frequently (rather than infrequently)? Because Kotobuki is one of those kanji that you tend to see all the time.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread