Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shovelling snow 2015/1/2 11:50
I'm a tenant in an apartment block and sometimes see my landlord's family shoveling snow off the road outside. Am I supposed to help them with this or is it the landlord's responsibility? Will they think I'm a horrible person for not helping out?
by Jinx77 (guest)  

Re: Shovelling snow 2015/1/2 22:31
It would certainly be a nice gesture if you offer help, especially if the whole family is doing it, meaning that they're not doing it for the money.

Meanwhile, if you don't want to do it you can pretend you're busy, or injured or simply pretend that you're not there. Don't forget to say thank you to them as you pass by.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Shovelling snow 2015/1/2 22:36
It will be nice to help them together, or even nice to ask them that they need help to do that, despite it's not your duty to do that.
Helping the other people, or, helped by the others are always common aspect while you live in Japan.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Shovelling snow 2015/1/4 09:59
At home we just chuck some grit down for the paths and leave the snow to go by itself. Tokyoites appeared to be assiduous in clearing the stuff, probably because they don't get snow quite so much, and they didn't appear to have any personal grit stashes.

I felt bad not helping out when the snow hit last year. I'd just wrenched my back and couldn't move without squealing. I also had no snow-proof footwear (having been told that Tokyo never gets snow). So, obviously, Snowkyo. Being snowed-in at least allowed my back to recover enough for the rest of the holiday.

This time I'm taking some overshoes of the sort that people wear at muddy festivals, and a pair of gardening gloves. If it snows, I'll get togged up, get out and offer to take over from the nearest female/elderly/short Japanese person with a shovel.

If I was living in Japan for a time, I'd get a bag of grit in ready to do the footpaths, wellies and a shovel. After an overnight snowfall, I'd get stuck in with everyone else. If you aren't physically up to shovelling snow (it is vicious on the arm muscles), take some matcha out to those who have been doing it as a thank you.
by David (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread