Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/10 03:53
I'm planning a trip to Japan this summer for several weeks. I plan to travel light in the first couple of weeks then shop at Tokyo or Osaka in the last few days.

I was wondering where I can find cheap suitcases in Tokyo or Osaka in case my shopping gets out of hand.

And what price range would I be looking at for a 26" - 28" suitcase?

Thanks!
by kooritsuki  

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/10 13:51
You can possibly buy it at flea markets if you are a lucky person.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/10 14:56
If you don't care about quality, lots of places sell luggage. Flea markets if you're lucky, but don't count on it as stock isn't consistent. Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku sometimes has sales that make the luggage decent.... I don't know what your idea of "cheap" is though.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/10 15:39
I think ameyoko of Ueno cheap.
This is ameyoko Plaza store.
http://www.ameyoko.net/
My Bag A-shop
http://www.ameyoko-plaza.com/?p=426#more-426
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/10 17:49
In Osaka there are a number of cheap luggage shops on Dotonbori near Sakai-suji.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/10 22:49
i do the same on most of my trips, and i usually buy a suitcase from an recycle shop such as Off House - however these are only in the suburbs, failing that Don Quijote stores usually have a good selection of cheap luggage
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/11 19:01
I was looking at some of the pictures, but the price doesn't look too cheap... Maybe it's just me being too greedy?

Is there a possibility of buying medium size suitcases for under 5,000 yen or so?
by kooritsuki rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/11 21:51
To answer your question, I always buy travel bags at one of my local supermarkets which is Piago. They sell "carry-bags" less for a few thousand yen. But I think you can find these things anywhere.

That said, I don't think it has to be a suitcase at all. I'm a light traveler and I always bring along a bag that is made of something like a parashute/umbrella cloth. It has a pair of handles and closes with a zipper, and folds down flat as paper. If I buy too many souveniers, I just wrap them up with my laundry and put it in this bag and check it in to the airline.

But you can wrap your things in anything: Bed sheets, paper and string, anything at all. Use your imagination.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 00:18
Although not sure if there is a stock, it seems in the Don Quixote sells soft case within \ 5,000.
http://www.donkimall.com/shop/products/list.php?category_id=1096
Or, you can buy a carry cart(ƒLƒƒƒŠ[ƒJ[ƒgj
, there is also a method of carrying luggage that you've packed in a cardboard that you got at the supermarket.
Packing tapeiƒKƒ€ƒe[ƒvj is sold in supermarkets and home centers.
I think Carrie cart are sold at home centers such as and Tokyu Hands.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/sports/386599011
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 14:38
Is there a possibility of buying medium size suitcases for under 5,000 yen or so?

No problem. I've bought several med and carry-on sized suitcases for under 5000 yen in Japan. As others have mentioned, you just gotta shop around the cheaper areas such as Ameyoko, discount department stores, etc. I also tend to carry a large duffle bag on trips. It packs to nothing, and is then used to carry dirty clothes back while my now empty suitcase is free for more fragile souvenirs.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 16:57
I had to buy a suitcase and got one at Don quoji at Dotobori...

It was a hard case, 26" and it was about 82,00

There wasn't supposed to be tax but the cashier made a mistake and put non tax items on it and we missed out...
by sillyhead rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 18:47
FYI, you need to spend more than 10,000 yen (or 10,800 yen if tax is included in the list price) in one go to qualify for tax free discounts.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 20:46
I bought an excellent hard-sided roller bag, for a great price, at My Bag (shop 67) at Ameyoko Plaza. Shop 67 is on the east side of the tracks, while the main street of Ameyoko is on the west side. Look at the My Bag link that Haro1210 posted above, and click on the yellow map. The east side is at the bottom of the map, while the main street is at the top of the map. The right side of the map is in the direction of Ueno station.

I loved visiting Donki stores, and probably hit a dozen of them. I checked luggage at every one. They have a wide variety, but I felt the prices were too high, even for the ones on sale. But, if you are in a hurry, or don't want to go to Ameyoko, then spending the extra money at Don Quijote is still reasonable.

Check all the zippers and locks before buying luggage. For sticky zippers, or even as a matter of course, rubbing a wax candle on the zipper works as a great lubicant. You can probably find suitable candles at any \100 store, or convenience store. Even birthday candles will work.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 21:16
Does anyone know if this place is considered expensive, also would this luggage be cheaper if purchased else where.

sorry didn't want to open a new thread for a simple answer.

http://www.donkimall.com/shop/products/detail.php?product_id=4954

thanks
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 21:57
I bought a very good quality hard shell case at Ginza Karen for about 5200 yen I think it was. It's still sitting here in my room. I can't remember the exact size (and I'm too lazy to find a tape measure) but it's large, maybe 28 to 30 inch? About 100L.
by Steevu9 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/12 23:18
amazon.co.jp is a good source of luggage, they have English web pages, and will deliver to your hotel.

Search under shoes and bags
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/13 03:30
Sorry I forgot to mention,

when I purchased my suitcase for $83,00 we also purchased other items that would have qualified for tax free. Except that the cashier put other things on there that shouldn't have been and we lost out on the tax. The guy at the tax free refund desk would not return the purchase to recharge us. We spent approximately 160,00

by sillyhead rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/15 06:46
Thanks for the suggestions! I guess I'll try Ameyoko and Ginza Karen first.

About ordering online on amazon.co.jp. How does shipping and delivery work in Japan? How long does it usually take? And how much shipping would I be expected to pay?
by kooritsuki rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2015/1/18 08:05
Re: shipping from Amazon Japan

I've had luggage shipped to the hotel before- it said when purchasing how long it would take- this was from an affiliate seller- and I did pay a small amt of shipping for the item.

With things sold by Amazon itself often I pay no shipping and can schedule the exact delivery time- you can see this on the site before hitting the purchase button.

I've ordered many many times from Amazon and had it delivered to the hotel without any hitches. I love it- shop online from the hotel room at night, go out exploring all day and came back to reception at night and there's my parcel!

I always let reception know to expect a parcel- likewise each hotel has been very helpful.
by Jojo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cheap Suitcases 2017/5/7 12:19
Store " Don Quijote" has very good selection of affordable suitcases. I got simple bag with wheels for 15$.
Alternatively you can order suitcase Amazon - but depending on your location delivery might not be fast.
by Foxy (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 21

1 2
next

reply to this thread