Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To miss something or someone in Japanese 2015/1/14 14:22
I`m an ESL teacher who is making a last class for a graduating grade. I want to ask them what they will miss most about the school, but I believe there is no direct translation into Japanese for the word `miss`. Once someone told me the concept of nostalgia, or `missing` something, doesn`t exist in Japan the same way it does in the West (not sure if that`s true!). What is the closest translation for the question/concept I`m trying to get across? Thank you!
by Jinx88 (guest)  

Re: To miss something or someone in Japanese 2015/1/14 20:46
In that context, you can ask the students what the most "nagori-oshii" 名残惜しい thing at school is for them.

Once someone told me the concept of nostalgia, or `missing` something, doesn`t exist in Japan the same way it does in the West (not sure if that`s true!).

That is not true at all. You were probably mislead or something was lost in translation. The fact is that while those concepts can be discribed in the one English word of "miss," in Japanese you'd have to use different words depending on the context or situation, like natsukashii, samishii, zannen, aitai etc.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread