Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

gender roles etc? 2015/1/16 01:55
I know both of these have been brought up before but I wanna start a new discussion on it...
first of all, I was wondering about the usage of boku/ore/watashi. I'm a 14-year-old agender (genderqueer) trans guy (meaning I'm agender but present mainly "as a guy") and I feel drawn to using "ore" in place of "watashi".
is it appropriate to use "ore" at this age?
I'm a beginner Japanese student but my dream is to become an English teacher in Japan someday, and I guess the way things are I would end up doing that as a "man". Does anyone know if it would be possible to introduce myself as genderqueer?? I've asked my Japanese friend about it previously and found numerous resources on the subject. there does not seem to be a strong genderqueer community in Japan but it is becoming more fashionable to present androgynously.
ノンジェンダア or Xジェンダア seem to be good, but do you think I would freak out a potential penpal or friend if I introduce myself this way?
"私は男性でもない、女性でもないけど、女性の体で生まれました。代名詞的には男性で呼ばれてます。" My Japanese friend given me this sentences for examples. Does it sound strange? Should I just stick to presenting as a guy? Thx in advance!!^_^
by souleater8  

Re: gender roles etc? 2015/1/16 08:11
It's better to use "Watashi".
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: gender roles etc? 2015/1/16 13:10
Regardless of age, "ore" is a term that males are expected to use only among friends. It's not very polite to use it when speaking to someone older than you or someone you don't know well.

The nuetral term for a 14 year old male to use is "boku". This term can be used at any situation if you're as young as 14. But then, it's not really too weird for a 14 year old boy to use "watashi" either.

When you become old enough to teach, however, you are expected to use the term "watashi" to your students and colleagues. Let's say you are a 22 year old man. You should call yourself "watashi" unless you become good friends with the person you are talking to.

Gender identity disorder (GID) is commonly known in Japan as "sei-dou-itsu-sei-shougai". Some people may not like the "disorder" part of the term, but I'm afraid that's how it is known today. There is great awareness in schools for low-teens, be it successful or not.

As far as approaching penpals are concerned, I think there are two major ways.
1. Post an ad saying you are GID, and only accept those who approach you.
2. Get to know your penpal first, and when you feel that you have known each other, bring the subject up casually and see how it goes.

"私は男性でもない、女性でもないけど、女性の体で生まれました。代名詞的には男性で呼ばれてます。" My Japanese friend given me this sentences for examples. Does it sound strange?

Well, it doesn't sound strange to me, but you can make it a lot more simple:
私は女性として生まれたけれど、自分を男性だと思っています。
"I was born as a female, but I think of my self as a male."

Lastly, maybe you already know about Akira, Root and all these androgynous culture in Japan that NHK has been happy to introduce to the world.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/kawaii-i/archive/archive_140112.html
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: gender roles etc? 2015/1/17 00:19
thank you very much this is really helpful! ^_^ I'll keep your advice in mind, thanks again!
by souleater8 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread