Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kerosene heaters making me sick 2015/1/19 20:21
I teach English in a school that's lucky enough to have air conditioning which is used in winter time to heat the place. But when I've visited other schools, the smell of the kerosene heaters in the classrooms has made me very sick, especially when it's the old-fashioned glass lamps with the flame. One time I was only there for an hour but for the rest of the day I had terrible throbbing sinuses and nausea like never before (I've had sinus issues my whole life). Today the AC in my school broke down so they're using the kerosene heaters temporarily and the smell made me feel very sick and also drowsy for the rest of the day. I don't want to complain to the school, but man the physical affects of breathing in that stuff are so nasty I was on the verge of going home sick. Do people in Japan who are sensitive to kerosene get used to it over time? What can I do to make my reactions to the kerosene less extreme? If it becomes an ongoing issue how does one raise it with their supervisor without sounding silly? Thank you!
by LoneWolf (guest)  

Re: Kerosene heaters making me sick 2015/1/20 12:18
Some kerosene heaters are not well cleaned especially around wicks and also used old fuel.
You live in rural side or north region of Japan? Kerosene heaters are not used commonly at school these days due to fire security reason but old schools and north region still use them where gas is not supplied.
Those heaters don't make strong smell if they are well cleaned or well burned.
You can open windows for five mins before the class begins or stop the heater while you do classes. Pupils may demand to turn on the heater then say that you people never die if it's not on for one hour. That's the privilege of teaches.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Kerosene heaters making me sick 2015/1/21 12:43
Have you talked to the school nurse or janitor? What did they say? In any case, it's nothing you should keep to yourself.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kerosene heaters making me sick 2015/1/22 11:37
I wouldn't turn it off, if lit. It gives off the worst smell/soot when you light and extinguish it. Instead air out the room before the class. If well maintained and have the red dome(or blue flame depending on the unit) and not yellow flame all the way around, it should give the min. problem.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread