Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan gardens 2015/1/30 06:08
Hi, looking to visit japan for a couple weeks at the end of August and my biggest desire is to visit some of the beautiful gardens however my worry is that August might not be the best time to see them as compared to May/June. Will the gardens still be beautiful and blooming around the end of August?
by Jessica Jo (guest)  

Re: Japan gardens 2015/1/30 13:46
They will be nice and green still from the summer rains, and different gardens may have different summer-blooming flowers. Asagao (morning glories) are not always found at gardens, but is one of the main summer flowers. Roses can be seen at western-style gardens for sure in the summer. Also several different kinds of wildflowers bloom during that time, though sorry, I don't know their names.

Um, let's see... sunflowers might still be around. Chinese lanterns, though they aren't flowers, can also be seen during that time. It's probably too early for higanbana or cosmos, though that might depend on where you're going.

Many gardens also have a website that gives an idea of what flowers they have and when they bloom, so if you let us know where specifically you're looking to go, we might be able to help better.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 01:41
I am not entirely sure yet where I will be going specifically. My biggest thing right now is figuring out when. End of August works best as far as time but I am a little worried to go at this time because of all the reading I am doing about the humidity and typhoons. In reality however I could book a trip and time between mid-may and end of august. I was really hoping to see cherry blossoms but it doesn't look like that will happen even if I go end of may I could possibly just miss them. AndI might catch the rainy season at the beginning of june? I want to visit Hokkaido and do some hiking and climb mount Fuji which I know july-august is the best or only time for. Other than that not entirely sure yet, but definitely Tokyo, Osaka and I think up to Hirosaki city. If you have an personal favourite places or know of any must see places in the country or hidden gems I would definitely appreciate it. Also given by timeline being end of may to end of august when would you suggest the best time to go. Will go for about 3 weeks
by Jessica Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 01:58
You may have the wrong impression. Japanese gardens are not flower gardens, although some have some flowers or flowering shrubs.
There are some gardens full of specific types of flowers, but nothing else.
You had better do some studying.
Here is my gallery showing typical Japanese gardens.
http://dickh.zenfolio.com/p489245369
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 02:03
No I am aware that japanese gardens are completely different from the viewing of cherry blossoms. Seeing cherry blossoms was just another point I brought up of something I wanted to see. And my garden question was answered previously. Just wondering if experienced travellers have any recommendations of the best time to visit ranging from mid-may to late august and special places to see.

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 02:17
I visited Korakuen in Okayama on May 14th last year and it was nice and green. The sky was cloudy but it was nice. Since it's a landscape garden with nothing really blooming, it's good to visit at any time of year. It's considered one of the three best landscape gardens in Japan, along with Kenrokuen in Kanazawa, which I will visit on April 7th, and Kairakuen in Mito.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 04:00
I lived in Japan many years and May is my favorite month. On one trip back a few years ago, I went from May 12 to June 7 and there was one morning of rain in Nagasaki and one evening shower in Tokyo.
You might see Tsutsuji (Azaleas) and Fuji (Wisteria).
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 04:15
It depends on how you tolerate the heat, I think.May is much cooler than August. The gardens are brilliant in any season, but in the hotter months (mid June to mid September) it can be too hot to wander around.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 06:14
My advice also would be to go mid-May.(ie after Golden Week). It will be pleasantly warm, but not stiflingly hot and humid. Our family in Japan always advise against travel in the Japan summer.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2099.html
is a helpful link.
Apart from gardens with greenery, we also seek out Zen gardens, found in many temples, esp in Kyoto.
In fact, temple hopping in Kyoto is one way of experiencing many different garden styles and vistas.
Enjoy!
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 06:18
I do think May would be most pleasant, however, if there is the chance that July/August are my only chance to travel, when within those two months would be best. I am thinking first 3 weeks in July as students finish school mid July? or no?

Re: Japan gardens 2015/2/3 06:30
I've not been in July or August though I have in June and September. Personally I'd go the earliest I could. July is hot, August is hotter. And while typhoons are more frequent in the earlier part of the season (i.e. july), I believe that they are more severe later (late August/September). But most of my planning would be around the heat. Unless you are used to temps well over 30 Celsius, I would reconsider going to Kyoto which gets tremendously hot.

All of that said, one of my best trips to Japan was in mid-late June, and it was getting pretty toasty then.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread