Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 14:32
Hi everyone,

Planning a 2 week trip to Japan in a few months time. Thinking about renting a car but I'll still be on an Australian provisional licence at the time of travel. I was wondering if I can rent a car with my licence in Japan. I notice that there is a lot less restrictions in Japan than in Australia, for example age limit (18 in Japan and 25 in Australia).

Thank you for the replies in advance :)

Cheers,
Keefe
by Keefe (guest)  

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 17:42
Ask the licence authorities in your country whether you can get an international driving permit based on provisional licence.

It's just that the system is different in Japan - we don't have the additional age requirement for "upgrading."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 17:45
Thanks AK. I can get an international driving licence with the current one I have. Might double check with the company when I make the booking to confirm I can rent a car with this licence.

Out of curiosity, how does the licencing system in Japan work? Do you have to go through learner and provisional until you get to a full licence? And if you do, can you rent a car with a Japanese provisional licence in Japan?

Keefe
by Keefe (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 17:57
There is only learner's and full. There isn't any "upgrade" like your provisional to full.

Many Japanese people (including myself) go to a driving school to get their licence, and after we've taken the initial classroom lessons about traffic rules, done a bit of simulator lessons, and go through driving lessons (with the instructor in the passenger seat, with an extra brake pedal) in the little driving course at the school, we get a learner's status. With that, we go out onto public roads for "real-life" lessons, again with the driving school's cars (with signs on), with the instructor in the passenger seat, with an extra brake pedal). After some lessons, we'd take the final driving test, and once we pass that, we simply get a "license."
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 17:59
Thanks AK. It seems a lot easier to obtain a licence in Japan than here in Australia haha

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 18:59
Hmmm. Japan sounds like SG.
Two theory tests and one practical.
After first theory can go for classes.
Must complete second theory before practical exam.

Practical has on the road "real" and indoors called "circuit" (Parking and other static obstacles.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 19:57
Thanks AK. I can get an international driving licence with the current one I have. Might double check with the company when I make the booking to confirm I can rent a car with this licence.
Out of curiosity, how does the licencing system in Japan work? Do you have to go through learner and provisional until you get to a full licence? And if you do, can you rent a car with a Japanese provisional licence in Japan?

Keefe

You need to ask for a international driving permit, not licences, they are two different things.

when you apply from the international driving permit in your country, they will require you to show and provide a copy of you driving license, if you are able to get the IDP, then you will have no problem driving in japan, most of the rental companies only requires you to show the IDP and your passport, these are to two identification that they honor.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 20:00
Cheers kms. I know the IDP is a must. Thanks for clarifying that I only need my IDP and passport most of the time. Most websites say the IDP need to be used in conjunction with my normal licence.

Keefe

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 20:10
yep, that is correct, most will state that, so it is best if you can provide both in case there are certain changes, the point is, if you can apply for a IDP from your country, it means you have a driving license which will meet their requirements.

as long as your country is part of the 19 September 1949 convention, driving in japan with a IDP is ok.

by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 20:11
Thanks very much for this kms :)

Keefe

Re: Renting a car on a provisional licence 2015/1/31 20:12
You do need to take your normal license. It *may* not be asked for, but sometimes it is.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread