Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirogama or Tokiji Fish Market 2015/2/11 17:35
I wanted to visit fish market and taste the fresh fish. I read some recommendation to Shirogama that it's better than Tokiji, but worried as it's close to Fukushima.

Shall I worry about radiation?

Also, does Shirogama Fish Market familiar with tourists? Will it be intimidating if I went in and take pictures, e.g. with DSLR? Also, will the merchants able to understand simple English or broken Japanese?

Sorry if I ask too many question :) Please share your suggestions.
by Moccy  

Re: Shirogama or Tokiji Fish Market 2015/2/11 20:24
Hi. I guess you mean Shiogama market and Tsukiji?

Shiogama is a long way from Tokyo so I wouldn't suggest making a trip all the way there just to go to the fish market. If you're in Tokyo anyway, Tsukiji is a much better option for you.

There's no need to concern yourself about radiation.

I haven't visited Shiogama Market myself but I suspect it's very unlikely the workers there would speak much, if any, English. Even at Tsukiji you'll struggle to find anyone speaking more than the most basic English but a little broken Japanese would probably help you.

As for taking photos, as long as you don't interfere with their operations, it's generally ok but you can always ask first if they mind:
shashin wo totte mo ii desuka?

More info on Shiogama Market here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5043.html
by Saru Bob rate this post as useful

Re: Shirogama or Tokiji Fish Market 2015/2/14 10:37
Yes, I mean Shiogama! Thanks for clarifying.

Is there anything else in Shiogama for sightseeing? I don't mind spending time at the city. But Shiogama may not be popular destination for international tourist, so will the locals familiar with gaijin? I'm Asian though, but I can only speak very basic Japanese.

What time usually I need to go to the fish market? Does Tsukiji has the grill area where we can grill the seafood?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread