Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do you think about my itinerary? 2015/2/11 23:12
Hi there again,

I asked about a week ago already a question about some suggestions about budget and travel itinerarys in Japan.
I will be arriving in Japan on the 18th March and leave it on the 15th April.
Thanks to your help and a guide I bought, I was able to assemble 29-Day Itinerary. Since im still a complete rookie in things concerning Japan, i would like to hear your opinnion about my travel plans. I will purchase the 21 Day JR Railpass for my journey. Since from day 2-5 I will be staying at a friends place who invited me to Japan, I will have no choice but to start my JR Pass on the second day of my stay in Japan.

Day 1: Landing in Haneda Airport at 13.55 - visit the City, sleep at Toyoko Inn
Day 2: Take the Train to Gifu to meet up with my friend there - Visit Gifu
Day 3: Daytrip from Gifu to Nagoya
- Visit Nagoya
Day 4: Daytrip from Gifu to Shirakawa-go
Day 5: Free Day (Any suggestions?)
Day 6: Take an early train to Narai
- Walk along the Highway in Kiso- Valley, sleep in a traditional Ryokan
Day 7: Kiso Valley (worth to stay 2 Full Days?)
Day 8:Take the Train to Kyoto
- Visit City, Sleep in a Ryokan (for 4 Days)
Day 9: Visit Kyoto
Day 10: Haru Cooking Class in Kyoto
Day 11: Daytrip to Nara
Day 12: Early Train to Osaka - Visit the City, Sleep in a Capsule Hotel
Day 13: Early Train to Mt Koyi - Stay in a Temple there (any suggestions?)
Day 14: Catch a Train in the Afternoon back to Osaka, stay at a Toyoko Inn
Day 15: Early Train to Kanazawa, - Visit the City, Stay in a Ryokan (for 2 Days)
Day 16: Visiting Kanazawa (Is it worth to stay two full days?)
Day 17: Early Train to Nagano - visit the City, Stay in a Ryokan
Day 18: Daytrip from Nagano to Yamanouchi to Visit the Monkey Park
Day 19: Train from Nagano back to Tokyo - check in at Airbnb host
Day 20: Daytrip to Nikko
Day 21: Daytrip to Kanagawa
Day 22: Daytrip to Fuji Five Lakes
Day 23-28: Visit and Enjoy Tokyo
Day 29: Take the plane back home

Is any one the Daytrips on Day 21-23 worth a overnight stay?
And is it possible to do this journey with a 20 Kilo Backpack?

Thank you so much for reading all of this and feel free to let me know if you have some suggestions about my travel plan ^^

TheNihaou
by TheNihaou  

Re: What do you think about my itinerary? 2015/2/12 10:20
I may be wrong, but I highly doubt the 21 day pass is value for money. You aren't travelling far but you are travelling frequently. So I cannot fully say. Use hyperdia for that.

Why are you jumping regions?
Takayama Shirakawago Gifu Kanazawa should be grouped together
Kyoto Osaka Koya Nara should be grouped together
Nagoya is a way point and can be added to any

Kanazawa staying two days is good. I would recommend more to explore the onsen region surrounding Kanazawa but your itineary has enough great places to visit.

Temples for Koya are up to personal choice. Generally the pricier the better. Since temple lodging is pretty unique, I paid for a mid scale one. More than a hundred USD per person. Koya is pretty small so location does not really matter, though staying near the main city center (Where the tourist information center is), is good to get your bearings.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What do you think about my itinerary? 2015/2/12 11:26
Hi Joshua Hugh,

Thank you for your quick response !
I split Kanazawa and Nagano, shirakawa-go and Kiso Valley in two groups since according to Hyperdia it is quite troublesome to get from Narai to Kanazawa but I might be mistaken.
Do you maybe have a Idea how to concretely change my itinerary?
by TheNihaou rate this post as useful

Re: What do you think about my itinerary? 2015/2/12 16:38
I'm living in Tokyo. I've never been to Kiso,Gifu & Kanazawa. So I can advise you only about the near-Tokyo area.
Yes, you would better stay overnight at Nikko and Kanagawa(especially if you meant "Hakone" area by "Kanagawa", otherwise meant both "Yokohama" & "Kamakura", one day trip may be enough.)
For Fuji Five Lakes, the K's House Plan is helpful(see Access tag for the access from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko Lake), although it's hard to take the same Mt. Fuji tour route by the public buses.
http://mtfujitour.com/
I hope you will really enjoy your great trip in Japan
by Yoossy rate this post as useful

Re: What do you think about my itinerary? 2015/2/16 12:25
I would visit Shirakawa-go as a day trip from Kanazawa, it's closer so you will save time on transportation.
I haven't check the routes myself, but I don't see anything obviously wrong about jumping from one region to the other. It probably makes sense time-wise because of the train connections, even if it seems like you are backtracking.
And what about to flip your itinerary or part of it so you will be in Gifu on April 11 and enjoy the Tejikara festival? It seems quite an interesting festival.
by Okazaky rate this post as useful

reply to this thread