Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shikoku pilgrimage/henro online guide 2015/2/12 11:07
Hi.
I know there is a great guidebook with maps on the henro pilgrimage on Shikoku but wondering if you know any online guide, as I cannot buy the guide unfortunately.
Thanks in advance!
by Joho (guest)  

Re: Shikoku pilgrimage/henro online guide 2015/2/13 08:16
There are many blogs that people have done. here is a general information link:

http://shikokuhenro.10-yen.net/info/

There are many guidebooks, and "Visiting the Sacred Sites of Kukai" and "By Bike around Shikoku" are even available at a Kindle download. There are even guides for different ways of traveling, such as running and biking the 88 temple route.

After doing the Chichibu Pilgrimage with only the map from the Seibu-Chichibu Station, I would suggest getting something that you can take along, be it either a printed guide or a Kindle edition.

There was at least three places where I went off the designated path, and was somewhat lost for a while. I was always able to enetually find a landmark, or backtrack and get back on the trail. I would have actually liked an electonic route that could loaded into a GPS unit. But even with that, I would have deviated from the true path, because I woud rather walk along a sidewalk along a street than walk along an alley.

Just remember that the Chichibu Pilgrimage walk was finalized when the 34th Temple was added in 1536. The path has not changed, but roads have been added. The actual Chichibu walking trail signs were about 10 Centemeters wide by 20 centemeters high, and were sometimes difficult to find. The Street signs for cars were one meter by two meters, and much easier to spot.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku pilgrimage/henro online guide 2015/2/13 10:33
I would recommend the book[A Journey of the Soul―The Shikoku Pilgrimage and its 88 Temples (English Edition)].You may find the book(kindle ver.) at Amazon. I bought this book and [Shikoku Japan 88 Route Guide (3rd edition)]too. these books are so useful.
by Melisaki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread