Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan pass clarification and enquiries 2015/2/13 04:56
Hi, this post may be a bit draggy but I hope you will be patient.

I am really really really confused with all the different kinds of Japan train passes there are and their validity.

1) The Japan Rail Pass seems to be 'The pass'. The greater majority recommends it. However, I also see mixed replies like one of the forum answers i saw. So I just want to know if it is worth it? 5 of my friends (including me) plan to go to Japan in April around the 2nd week. The first half of the journey in Tokyo and the rest will be around the Kansai region. We arrive in Haneda airport and leave from KIX.

2) Would it be better if I bought individual tickets or regional passes for both areas I will be visiting? After googling and stuff, it seems that osaka isn't really covered by the JR lines but the Nankai?

3) Also, is the kinetsu pass a good buy? In comparison to all the rest of course. I am aware the Jr line's shinkansen may be faster but I was wondering if the extra cost is worth it.

4) Also, I read up that the Japan rail pass does not cover the tokyo metro lines. However, I just want to make sure that they not really that important. So, are they?

5) I am so sorry this is so long... I have been trying to figure out the cheapest and best one but I just can't decide. Anyway, are the bus lines important?

6) Do you think taking a trip to Nagoya is too time consuming and too far from the kansai region? Should I give it a miss?

7)Does the Kanasai wide area pass include himeiji or is that only in the west jr pass?

8) Last time I went to Kyoto I saw bike rentals. Is that a viable way of transport around the cities?

So far those are the questions I have got about the transport. haha. I am so sorry that I have so many questions and I just couldn't figure it out on my own and I would SO SO SO appreciate it if you answered them. Really Thank you SO MUCH.
by Christabelle (guest)  

Re: Japan pass clarification and enquiries 2015/2/13 10:28
The answer to all your questions depends on your itinerary. A 7-day countrywide pass costs about the same as a Tokyo/Kyoto round-trip, so if you do that within 7 days and add some small side trips, it becomes advantageous.

Whether the Tokyo Metro lines are useful also depends on where you want to go in Tokyo. If the place you want to visit is only served by Tokyo Metro, then they are interesting. Otherwise, they are not. Note also that Tokyo Metro is not the only non-JR company in Tokyo.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Japan pass clarification and enquiries 2015/2/13 12:34
1) Depends on Itinerary

2) Depends on Itinerary

3) Depends on Itinerary

4) Depends on Itinerary. Japan Rail pass is only valid on JR Lines. Metro can be useful, it depends. I have done both before.

5) In Tokyo and Osaka not really unless your destination has no train station near by

6) What do you want to see here?

7)http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_kansai.html

8) If you have lots of time like two or three days then yes do bikes otherwise there is the bus in Kyoto.

When are you going to Japan?

Hope this helps!!!

Have Fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

reply to this thread