Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass 2015/2/13 15:20
Hello!
I have a few questions about the JR Pass:
1) We are going to buy the 14-day JR Pass, and I understand you have to buy it before getting in to Japan. What are the options to buy it? Is it only via the internet, and will they send it to my home? Or is there another way?
2) Suitcases on the JR - We will be traveling as a couple with two suitcases. Is there room on the JR for those? (not too big, but not too small). Do I need to do something in advance in order to go with suitcases on the JR?
3) Seat Reservations - How do you do that? And how many days in advance should I reserve my seats? Especially where do I do it and how important it is? We will be flying on April.

Thanks!
by Michael (guest)  

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/13 20:42
Searching for any of your three queries on the main japan-guide website will give you the answer you're looking for.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/13 23:51
1) I've bought mine via the Internet as most will include free shipping. You might have the option of buying it from a travel agency where you are.

2) There are room on Shinkansen train and most limited express train for suitcase. The area between two rows of seats or the area at the end of train can be used to store suit case.

3) Other with more experience can answer this. I believe you can do it online if travelling in the Tokyo (JR East) area. Otherwise, you can reserve for seat when you are in Japan (in most JR station).
by DavidWeb (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/14 00:10
#3 -

You can reserve your seat at the place where you exchanged your JR pass or at a green window (midori no guchi). Major JR stations will have this place for you to book seats. If you're buying a JR East pass only then you can book online.

If you're going to be traveling on the Shinkansen on a weekend and to a popular destination (e.g. Kyoto), I would recommend booking the seats a couple of days prior to departure. If you're traveling on a weekday, the Shinkansen will not be as crowded as the weekends except maybe if there's a major holiday.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/14 05:12
1: Yes, buy before you go. Several places on the internet sell them, and the price is based on the yen (Y46,390 for the 14-day pass).

However, shop around as you will find different sites have different prices. I have seen places that charge up to 20% more than others. The pair of passes I purchased last week I saved $100 by checking different sites that I buy from regularly.

2: Yes, there is room, but not too much. The overhead luggage shelf is good for cases, but they need to be light enough to lift and shouldn't be more than about 75cm x 25cm x 50cm (30x10x20) - That's the size of my wife's case.

There is some space at the end of the carridges, but be considerate if there are people wanting to recline their seats - otherwise, a bit cramped, keep them by you seat.

3: Seat reservations can be done on the day or time of travel, but you might find some trains are full. Day before or a couple of days before should remove the worst of overbooking problems.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass 2015/2/14 05:29
As for train reservations, if you are in Japan and have exchanged the pass, you can make as many reservations as you want as long as they are for dates within the pass period, regardless if the activation day of the pass hasn't come up yet. For example, if your pass is set to activate on March 10th, as long as you have the actual pass, you can make reservations up to 30 days prior to March 10th.

I'll give you my example. I'll arrive to Narita on 3/21. I will exchange my voucher on 3/22 at Shinagawa and ask for the 21-day pass to be activated on 3/26. At the same time, I have a list of the train numbers, from and to stations and which seat I wish and then I'll hand it to the attendant so she/he can give me the seat reservation tickets. But I'm just a bit more prepared than others, so that's why I do it.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread