Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Giving up a pet for adoption 2015/2/18 21:52
I have 5 beautiful guinea pigs that are very dear to me.

Sadly, I am planning on leaving japan and my destination country has denied me an import license. I am so heartbroken, I don't know what to do.

I was planning on putting them up for adoption on craigslist but I have read about horror stories of animal abuse from people of ill intent who respond to those ads.

I don't speak Japanese. I have been trying to find information on a shelter that could take them to no avail.

Does anyone know the contact to any shelters that could take them? Or does anyone have any information that could help?

IT is greatly appreciated.
by anna (guest)  

Re: Giving up a pet for adoption 2015/2/19 09:53
There are quite a few shelters for dogs and cats but I've never heard of organization handling other pets like guinea pig.

How about asking your local vet? I've heard that some pet clinics allows you to put up a poster for adoption. Or your vet might know some people who might be interested.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Giving up a pet for adoption 2015/2/19 15:07
Yes, putting up a poster at your vet would be one way.

There is also a pet home search website if you want to try that, AND if you can get a Japanese-speaking/writing person to help you, and you are willing to be patient. The way the site works is that you register yourself, post up an ad, so to say, with photos and description of your pets, and wait for people to contact you. You need to interact with the applicants directly, ask questions, get them to visit you and your pets, visit their home, of course show ID, etc. until you feel comfortable that this IS the "right home" for your pets, then sign an agreement/pledge before handing over your pets for adoption. Many people on this website ask that the "new home" keeps in touch with the previous owner with photos to show them how they are doing... at least I know they handle "small mammals."

But this is only a forum for looking for pets/new homes, so you need to be very careful (just as you would on Craiglist).
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread