Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best places to visit in Japan 2015/2/25 02:27
Planning on a 2-3 week trip to Japan next year, focusing on a relaxed and non- rushed atmosphere. I would like to visit shrines and stay a night in a small town, attend a festival, stay in the city and shop around, visit a beach, fireworks, etc.. Essentially, heavy emphasis on the culture and people.

Just an FYI- I know nothing about the areas besides the major cities and I'd like to get recommendations from people that have visited or live there for my above list.

Are foreigners well received?

I've been told that foreigners with tattoos are targeted/ talked to by Yakuza or are denied service to certain places/ resturants. Is that true?

Last thing- how much are translation machines/ translators per day? Any good companies?

Thanks for your time!
by Flipmane  

Re: Best places to visit in Japan 2015/2/25 12:08
With regards to tatoos, if they aren't visible there is no issue. If they are visible, some may tolerate it as you are a foreigner but it depends on the person.

Unless you are going to places not frequent by tourist, English is sufficient. Always go to the tourist information counter when arriving in the city(nearby major train station). Get a map, local information, and maybe free English Local Tours.

For 2 to 3 weeks, you can do quite a bit.
A round trip starting from Tokyo would be the most often plan.
Tokyo (at least 2 days)
Kyoto (at least 3 days)
Osaka (at least 1 night)
Himeji (at least half day)
Kobe (at least half day)
Okayama (at least 1 day)
Hiroshima (at least 2 days)
Fukukoka (at least 2 days)
Nagasaki (at least 1 day)
Back to Tokyo
Side/Day trips from Tokyo
Nikko (at least 2 days)
Karuizawa (at least 1 day)
Hakone/Fuji five lakes (at least 2 days)

Get a JR 7, 14 days pass. See how many days you want to spend in each city. Add to the bare minimum days stated above.

For beaches, Shirahama is well known for having both hot springs and beaches. Kumamoto are known for having beautiful beaches. For a beach near Tokyo, Kamakura may be an option. If you want some island experience, you could take a ferry south from Tokyo to the parent islands.

For fireworks you have to go during Summer.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best places to visit in Japan 2015/2/25 14:06
There are quite a few tour schedules that would give you a flavour of what is achievable.

Work out if you want to do lots of hotel hopping, or side trips (less changes is better) for a bit of depth in each place rather than 14 different places in 14 days.

Assuming independent travel, most of the main cities you can get away with English and very little Japanese - if you want to go further afield, it gets trickier.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread