Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan rail pass 2015/2/25 16:38
Hi, I am thinking about purchasing the Japan rail pass for 14 days to use during my stay in Japan.

I am wondering whether the rail pass covers access to all the destinations I am planing to visit:

-Tokyo (does it cover various trips inside the city aswell?)
-Nikko
-Takoyama
-Kyoto (same question as for Tokyo)
-Osaka
-Hiroshima
-Miyajima
-Nagoya
-Okayama

Also, if ayone has any suggestions for cheaper transport option, I would love to hear them.
by Sick0ne  

Re: Japan rail pass 2015/2/25 17:46
14d pass match or not depends on yr plan.
If not long days stay at Osaka/Kyoto 7d Pass possible.

Not "Tak(o)"yama "Tak(a)"yama :D
http://www.hida.jp/english/
"tako" in Japanese means octopus mainly but include "idiot" and "bald headed" guy as slang.
by oxt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan rail pass 2015/2/25 18:05
Japan Rail Pass is "Japan Rail" Pass, not "Japan" rail pass, if you know what I mean. It does not cover everything within Japan. Only the segments covered by the company called Japan Rail.

Japan Rail Pass makes sense if you make a lot of long-distance (inter-city) travels on JR Shinkansen trains. The guideline is that if you do Tokyo - Osaka/Kyoto - Hiroshima then back to Tokyo within a 14-day period, then it will likely pay off. If within that period, if you further do day trips like Tokyo - Nikko return trip, it will benefit you.

However, if you are staying in Tokyo, for example, and doing a lot of travel "within and around" Tokyo, while of course a lot of places are covered by JR Yamanote line, sometimes you might need to use the subways to get to a destination. The same for Kyoto - you might want to use subways and buses (o taxi) to get around.

So first see if you can fit all the long-distance travel Tokyo - Kyoto/Osaka - Hiroshima then back to Tokyo within a 14-day period, and start from there :) If you are staying, for example in Tokyo for 5 days or so at the beginning of your trip, you don't need any JR Pass for your days in Tokyo. You can activate it to start with your first your long-distance trip. Enjoy planning!

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread