Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 04:45
Hi,
My wife and 2 boys (14 & 12) will be visiting Tokyo for the first time, for 4 nights, May 30, 31 and June 1, 2. Reading online I was overwhelmed with all the different neighborhoods and am not sure where to stay. We'll arrive at Narita but depart from Haneda. Please advise regarding the following questions: Thank you!!!

[1] What's the best way to get from airport to hotel? I don't want to do the subway/train thing due to our first time, along with luggage, can't read a word of Japanese, and the subway maps give me a headache. 8-))

[2] I've looked through several hotels, and it seems like a unit for 4 persons is very rare. The maximum number of occupants is 3. Is it OK/legal if we rent a 3-person hotel room and all 4 of us stay there? I can sleep on the floor if I have to.

[3] What can I expect the weather to be like during that time?

[4] Are credit cards recommended as the main way to pay for things? Or would cash (in Yens) be the better way to go?

[4] What can I do for cell phone service? I have a few unlocked GSM phones with T-Mobile in the USA. Can I just buy a local sim card in Tokyo and use with my phones?

[5] I always leave a daily tip for the person cleaning our hotel rooms. What's the standard % to give in Japanese hotels?

[6] What are some sightseeing spots and/or activities that you guys can recommend, considering the ages of our boys?

That's all for now.
Thanks so much!
by Darren Donovan (guest)  

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 10:28
I took my kids to Japan, for the first time, when they were a bit younger than yours, but I had many of the same questions at the time.

[1] Although the trains don't look like a great option without Japanese knowledge, they are very easy to ride in Japan and are far cheaper than the alternatives. Unless you are made of money, take the train to your hotel. You shouldn't have much luggage, being that you will only be in Tokyo for a few days. I have even taken the train on year-long trips to Tokyo with multiple pieces of luggage each.

[2] This place is great for four people and not far from the train station: http://www.2think.org/japan-hotels.shtml

[3] Early June is hit and miss. It could be the early part of rainy season, but usually it is good weather.

[4] No, don't use credit cards. See: http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2009/08/changing-dollars-into-yen...

[4] Can't help you here.

[5] No tipping in Japan.

[6] If they like amusement parks, skip the big ones as you'll spend most of your time in lines. Some fun ones that aren't expensive or crowded (especially on weekdays): http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/tag/yomiuriland/
http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2012/10/skycycle-ride-at-arakawa-...
http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/2008/06/seibu-yuenchi/

If they like baseball, you absolutely want to catch one of the teams in Japan. Even if they don't you want to enjoy Japanese baseball.
http://www.2think.org/japanesebaseball.shtml

I can give you other recommendations if you can state what your kids are most interested in.
by acase (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 10:29
[1] What's the best way to get from airport to hotel? I don't want to do the subway/train thing due to our first time, along with luggage, can't read a word of Japanese, and the subway maps give me a headache. 8-))

You can stay at any hotel along the train line. Taxis are too pricey to consider.
There is this train line that is a loop line. It goes to the major stations like Akihabara, Tokyo, Shinjuku, etc

Pick a hotel near one of these stations.

The trains from airport to Tokyo station are made for travellers. So there would be luggage compartments.

If you cannot take the few subway stations to your hotel (Transit at Tokyo station), stay aroud Tokyo station (very expensive) or take a taxi from Tokyo station (less expensive).

[2] I've looked through several hotels, and it seems like a unit for 4 persons is very rare. The maximum number of occupants is 3. Is it OK/legal if we rent a 3-person hotel room and all 4 of us stay there? I can sleep on the floor if I have to.

Take a suite or take two double rooms. There are some 4 persons per room. Try searching more?

Whether it is legal or not, I cannot say. But there are people who do it.

[3] What can I expect the weather to be like during that time?

Sunny. Hot.
Might have some rain.

[4] Are credit cards recommended as the main way to pay for things? Or would cash (in Yens) be the better way to go?

Most places in Japan are not credit card friendly. Cash is the way to go.
Even upscale dining establishments are cash only. Credit card companies take a cut from the transaction. Why would you want to short change the excellent service provided? Japanese probably feel insulted... not that i know.
[4] What can I do for cell phone service? I have a few unlocked GSM phones with T-Mobile in the USA. Can I just buy a local sim card in Tokyo and use with my phones?

Only smart phones work in Japan. You can get a sim card at the airport.
For myself, I prefer to get a mobile wifi transmitter. Allows me to use those free messaging and calling aps. Plus surfing the internet and using Google Maps when lost.
About 90USD a day. Can be shared among multiple users.

[5] I always leave a daily tip for the person cleaning our hotel rooms. What's the standard % to give in Japanese hotels?

Like most Asian countries tipping is not common in Japan. I've read somewhere that it is insulting to give tips. You can't short change them with a credit card and can't overpay them either...

[6] What are some sightseeing spots and/or activities that you guys can recommend, considering the ages of our boys?

Ages are not important. What do they like?
Cycling? If so cycling along Tokyo bay and the parks.
Pokemon? Pokemon center.
Electronics, cameras....? Yodobashi or Bic camera
Robots? Odaiba science musuem or going to a shop in akihabara. Some sell basic robot models other sell talking, walking, jumping, somersaulting robots.

Going to Tokyu hands is an experience in itself. It is filled with gadgets made from Japanese ingenuity.

If all else fails, DisneySEA and Disneyland. Go on a nonpeak weekday.

Anything else?
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 10:29
Hi,

I may not be able to give the best advice as I am also planning to travel over (but haven't been). Hopefully some experience travellers will give you some better advice.

1. If you want to avoid trains/subways and your hotel is in Tokyo. You can arrange to limousine bus. https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/. If your hotel is on the list, you can be dropped to it or pick a close hotel and either take a short train the rest of the way. I wouldn't recommend taxi as it will be very expensive for you. I'm sure someone who knows about this, might help better.

2. Some traditional Japanese style motel/hotels can cater up to 4 bed. It is a lot rarer for western hotels. However, I have seen a few where they will put in an extra bed at your request (sometimes for extra charges). I used Booking.Com for most of my research on hotels and the rooms tell you whether or not they can take extra beds. Otherwise, you may want to consider booking a room with double twin/queen beds and share beds.

4. Credit cards are accepted at major hotels and chains but from my understanding, Japan is large on using cash. I would strongly suggest using cash for most of your trip as atms that accept foreign cards are hard to come by. But don't take my word for it -- like I said, I haven't been. My research strongly suggests most foreign cards get accepted at local post shops and 7/11 shops in japan to withdraw money.

6. Tips are not required in any shape or form in Japan. If you feel you had exceptional service, put the money in an envelope and hand it close to the cleaner/hotel when you leave. But tips are not commonplace.
by lesh rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 11:05
I'm an American who's been living in Tokyo for most of my life. I raised three kids here.
If you have any questions about Tokyo, contact me!
Here:
https://tokyo5.wordpress.com/contact-me/
or here:
https://twitter.com/five_in_tokyo
by Tokyo Five (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 11:10
Hi,
My wife and 2 boys (14 & 12) will be visiting Tokyo for the first time, for 4 nights, May 30, 31 and June 1, 2. Reading online I was overwhelmed with all the different neighborhoods and am not sure where to stay. We'll arrive at Narita but depart from Haneda. Please advise regarding the following questions: Thank you!!!
[1] It better to catch a limousine bus to the hotel directly.

[2] It's rare to have a 4 persons in one room. As far as I know, Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu has 4 persons room for limited supply(they put one extra bed in a 3 persons room). It better to look for 2 persons room for two, or look for a Ryokan. Ryokan often supply 4-5 persons room(limited).

[3] The weather between late-May and early-June is varied, rainy, hot, humid and cool. No coldness.

[4] The most hotels and Ryokans accept major credit cards as well as cash.

[4] b-mobile sim cards may or may not work on you mobile.

[5] No tips require in JP. Hotels and Ryokans take a 10% service charge other than the accommodation fees.

[6] Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo Joypolis is good place to visit with two boys.
http://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1066451-d1857275-Reviews-...
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 14:01
Credit cards are in fact accepted at many places, including restaurants, hotels, department stores, large chain stores, convenience stores, etc. They are becoming more common everyday. Also, places that get large amounts of tourists or are foreign-based restaurants/chains should take cards as well. Places that wont usually accept are going to be the mom and pop type stores, shrines and temples and the souvenir shops around, any of the smaller souvenir type shops or restaurants, and bar type izakaya to name some. Also, traditional ryokan still sometimes wont accept, but it depends.

So it's good to make sure you have plenty of cash or a way to get some when you need some. Ask to use credit card first or look for signs on the door/at the register before being seated if you need to use a card.

I live in Japan (out in the country) and am able to use my card at all large grocery stores, many restaurants, many entertainment places, and most larger chain stores.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 14:35
Do not try to book a 3 person room and sneak a 4th person in; it is against the rules and fire code.

As for your phones, your phones will not work if they do not support the 2100 umts band. Also are you needing it for calling, data or both?
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 15:37
[2] a 3 person room

Ask the hotel staff. For children, they can add an extra bed, I think.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/3 16:30
Unless your credit card has free international transactions (ie sapphire preferred) it's gonna charge you a fee every time you use it. Not a bad idea to exchange however much cash you need and save the credit card for any large unexpected purchases.

From what I've found, SIM card rentals are about the same price as a wifi module so I've always opted for the wifi. I rented one of the faster ones from GAC recently and it was about $85 for the 12 days I stayed (not $90/day as mentioned previously), plus they'll deliver to the hotel and when you're done you just stick it in the provides envelope and the hotel can send it back for you. You can use whatsapp or line to make app to app calls or skype.

If you're worried about the train and the subsequent transfers, the limousine buses previously mentioned is a good idea. Another idea would be to take the train from Narita and then a taxi to avoid having to try and figure out the JR on the spot. Taxi's are roughly in the same price range as the US so i wouldn't take it for long trips.
by aether rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/4 02:33
In many countries it is not legal to be 4 in a room with 3 beds, or 3 in a room with 2 small single beds, or 2 in a room with one small single bed.
It has to do with fire codes more than with cheating..though the hotel staff may quickly find how many people are actually in a room.

In case of a fire--they often happen at night-- the firemen know that hotel X has Y number guests, maximum, to remove asap.

You can find hotels in Japan with rooms for 4; They are Japanese-style rooms, meaning that you sleep on a futon on the floor. It is quite nice actually.

I live in North-America and have been to Japan regularly since the mmid-90s.

I have always been able to use credit cards for big purchases, like hotel rooms for a week at a time (or even only a night).

Using cash for small purchases, like coffee and pastries, or a sandwich, or a bowl of ramen etc. is common sense.
I know that in my North-American home town quite a few people use a credit card just to pay for a coffee, but I find it a bit ridiculous.

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/4 04:50
www.booking.com

has many rooms for 4, just take your pick.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/4 12:29

"[4] What can I do for cell phone service? I have a few unlocked GSM phones with T-Mobile in the USA. Can I just buy a local sim card in Tokyo and use with my phones?"

Japan never used GSM so there's no point bringing them. A B-mobile SIM will NOT work in those phones.
Japan uses 3G & LTE(4G), (and KDDI also uses CDMA200, which is not compatible either). The 3G devices can be either smart phones or non smart phones.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/4 14:04
Japan is a cash society and most places only accept cash. The exception is international hotels, businesses and some stores. Many ATMs in Japan don't accept international cards either. My suggestion is to bring plenty of Japanese cash with you or get it changed over at the airport. Japan is relatively safe so you don't need to be too worried about getting robbed.

Tipping in Japan is a big no-no, but if you want to thank the hotel staff you could bring some small souvenirs from your home country to say thank you.

Your boys would probably like Takeshita Street in Harajuku as it caters to youth/street fashion. If they like electronics they would love Akihabara, if they like anime they'll love the Ghlibi museum, and if they like video games and indoor amusements they would love Sega Joypolis.

Sorry but your phone won't work in Japan. Even if it did, you can't rent a SIM card unless you're a resident. I suggest either international roaming with your home country's phone provider (very expensive) or using the hotel WiFi to access Skype and use the Skype Program to make your phone calls.

Japan's subway system looks very complicated on maps but it really isn't so bad once you get there. Trains are a very cheap way of getting around compared to taxis which are crazily expensive. There's an Express train that goes straight from Narita to Nippori, which is one of the main stations on the central line (Yamanote Loop line). From there you can get the train to all the major stations in Tokyo eg: Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya. This train loop is very easy to follow and all announcements and signs are in English.

by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/3/4 16:25
[1] Send your bags ahead of you! There are desks for a few companies at the Tokyo airports. My wife and I do it every time - pay about 1200yen per case, then receive them either that evening, or the next morning. Then we ride the train with just our hand-luggage.

If the language and maps are an issue, just plan your route in advance on Google maps. Plus, at the airport, you'll find people that speak English. And if they can't speak English, they'll go out of their way to find people who do.

[4] Cash is king. People here seem to love cash. Cards can be ok... but cash is just simpler.

[4] You'll likely have to rent a phone. Or just go without. Or use skype via wifi (free wifi, or rent a router).

[5] No need.
by junkymotown (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/5/21 05:38
Thank you all so much for your replies!! My travel will start in a few days. I have a question regarding getting around Tokyo. I'm planning on getting the unlimited ride One-Day ticket for the Tokyo Metro & Toei subway lines, cost = 1000 yen.

I'd also like to be able to go on the JR Yamanote line (the "loop" ). I think with both, I'll have Tokyo covered for where our family will need to go.

Is there a ticket for just the JR Yamanote line? I don't intend to venture any further out on other JR lines.

Thanks,
by Darren Donovan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/5/21 08:13
About the airport limousine suggested by another... I wouldn't suggest taking it because you're only spending a few days in the city. There are usually heavy congestions on the highways to the city, so taking the airport limousine bus will waste a lot of time. In my past experience, it takes about 3 - 4 hours to get to a hotel in Shinjuku, when it only takes the Narita Express train 53 mins to get to Tokyo Station.

Depending on the number of suitcases you have, I suggest one of the following:
1) take the Narita Express to Tokyo Station then take a taxi to your hotel
2) take the Narita Express then transfer to other trains to the JR/subway station closes to your hotel, then take a taxi if needed
3) pack a light overnight bag, have your heavy luggage sent to your hotel from the airport while you, your family and your overnight bags rides the train etc. etc. to your hotel

I've done the airport limousine thing and #1 & #2 before and definitely prefer #2 as you won't waste time getting stuck in traffic. I have not tried #3, hence, I recommend packing an overnight bag in case you can't get your suitcase until the next day.

A quick Google on sending bags to hotel from the airport landed me this link:
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/tourist/airport/

Yamato Transport is a very large delivery company in Japan, I believe. So your luggage should be safe with them.

As for getting to Haneda Airport when you leave, you should be more comfortable with the trains by the time you're about to leave Tokyo, so you should be fine taking the trains. The Haneda Airport is also quite a bit closer to Tokyo than Narita.
by kooritsuki rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/5/21 08:14
the unlimited ride One-Day ticket for the Tokyo Metro & Toei subway is usually not worth the price unless you make more than six or seven trips in one day. same thing applies to the JR one day pass. often the most convenient route from here to there is a combination of JR and subway so I would just get a suica or pasmo card; while there are no savings it is very convenient to use and gives you the flexibility to use either the subway or JR.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/5/21 09:36
so far i had stayed 3 times in Asakusa area. the rooms/guesthouses are usually cheaper; the same goes for eateries nearby. best is that the inexpensive Tobu subway goes to BOTH Haneda and Narita airports, with no transfer for some routes! check www.hyperdia.com for the best timing.

of course, i need to stress that Asakusa is very quiet at night, without much activities around the neighbourhood. if your family does not mind the area being quite 'dead' but still safe, why not??

there's no need to get any of the day passes, as it may not be worth it. plan the routes and check hyperdia to work out.

enjoy!
by Beeeee (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: First time to Tokyo, have a few questions 2015/5/21 11:48
My wife was able to reserve a room for us at the Shiba Park hotel. I will reconsider the day passes idea, and check out the Suica card instead.
Thanks.
by Darren Donovan (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread