Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wells Fargo currency exchange fee in Japan? 2015/3/9 14:26
Hello, I did some research, please let me know if it's true or false so I can prepare... and which method would give me the most bang for the buck.I read from older posts that Japan gives competitive rates for USD, is that still true? (In addition to that, Im using capital one credit card since it doesn't charge a foreign fee but I wanna have cash on hand for the small establishments in Japan) :)

So, I plan to convert $1000USD:

1) Withdrawing cash at Japan post office atm. I read that they don't charge a fee. The only fee is from the banking institution of the debit card? Wells Fargo charges a flat rate of 5.00 to withdraw money.(dumb but I gotta ask: it'll spits out yen right? I don't have to exchange it again at a center?) Are there other fees?

2) Narita airport listed the rates right now and it seems "buying" traveler's checks would give me more. Does Japan accept a traveler's check from wells Fargo? Would the rates differ too much between traveler's check from banking institutions? I also have a Chase account, would chase be better than wells Fargo?

Exchange Information
http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

3) The other option is to bring cash into Japan. I read japan post office is now a private institution, so rates aren't published online. But I am confused. the exchange center at Narita airport is still a "post office" right? Or it is Narita's airport private establishment?

Out of all three, I'm gearing toward using an atm.Thoughts?

P.S.

I plan to exchange enough money to yen incase I don't have access to one immediately upon arrival in Japan, prob at LAX or DFW. I read the currency exchange kiosk at the airport isn't too bad? What about the airport exchange center? Does anyone know the current rates right now? I know to avoid banks and that travelex gives 10 percent less compared to other places.

Thanks!

by Lillian (guest)  

Re: Wells Fargo currency exchange fee in Japan? 2015/3/9 16:37
I use WF as my bank.

Japanese Post office ATMs and 7/11 convenience store ATMs will both accept foreign debit cards and do not charge a fee for use both will distribute japanese yen, usually in 10,000yen notes. You'll just get hit by the WF foreign atm fee($5 per withdrawal.) I did this for a 2 month trip last year and was fine, you just need to keep in mind your daily ATM limit and you might want to ask WF to increase it. I believe the default is $310 per day, but it's something you should confirm with your bank.

Another option is to use Western Union to wire yourself money, I've been using that on my current trip. WU charges $12 for a $1000(last time I did it I was getting ~115 yen per dollar) transfer from a bank account but the transfers take 3-4 days to go through vs just finding an ATM.
by brett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wells Fargo currency exchange fee in Japan? 2015/3/9 16:47
Thank you, Brett!
by Lillian (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wells Fargo currency exchange fee in Japan? 2017/11/18 07:04
So what did you ended up doing Lilian? Did the WF atm card work at the post office or 7/11 atm? Do I need to change the PIN number to a 4 digits or 6 digits PIN number? My trip is for December. Thx.
by Fiona (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wells Fargo currency exchange fee in Japan? 2017/11/19 08:50
I've used my WF debit card at both posts offices and 7/11s with no problem at either. You don't even need to call in anymore to set up the travel plans, which is nice. Make sure to do it online, though.

My 4 digit pin still worked.
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread