Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 11:02
Hello
I have heard thhat Japan is very costly country
we r 4 people travelling on 1/5/2015
Just to have an idea that HOw much money should I carry with me
Please tell me
What will be cost of
One Banana
one orange
Metro travel for 5 kilometres for one person
Taxi ride for 5 KM for 4 persons
One loaf of bread.
Are there anyy specific stands for Taxi or we can just hire them from road.
do taxis run by metre or we have to negotiate
Thanks
by vivek Gupta (guest)  

Re: Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 11:18
I have heard thhat Japan is very costly country

It's relative. Traveling in Japan is generally more expensive than travelling in other parts of Asia, but I find it very comparable to travelling in other developed countries.

Just to have an idea that HOw much money should I carry with me

I usually like to have around 30,000-50,000 yen in cash plus a credit card on me, but when travelling I usually have a little more since you'll tend to spend more on average. Then I top up every few days at a 7-11 or postal atm.

One Banana - around 50-100 yen
one orange - around 100 yen
Metro travel for 5 kilometres for one person - fares start from around 140 yen
Taxi ride for 5 KM for 4 persons - 730 yen for the first 2km, 90 yen per additional 280 meters
One loaf of bread - from around 100 yen

Are there anyy specific stands for Taxi or we can just hire them from road.

There are stands at stations, hotels, etc. but you can also just flag one down on the road.

do taxis run by metre or we have to negotiate

By meter, except for some standardized routes (for example, flat rate airport taxi)
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 14:03
Japan is no that expensive for the average traveller! Just some small notes:

- Taxis are expensive in the larger cities because the traffic can get very bad. You'll always be better off taking public transport (usually a train). These are frequent, comfortable, cheap and easy to use.

- If you are a fruit eater, be aware that it can be hard to find fresh fruit to eat as snacks. I spent a month in Japan and only saw fruit for sale in convenience stores or supermarkets a handful of times. You will see a lot of fruit though, but most of this is for gifts...it looks large, and perfect, but has a hefty price tag to match! (Think AUD$20 for eight strawberries!)
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 14:41
Thanks for reply
I am not a fruit eater only but I am pure veg and so i was thinking on those lines that I might eat fruits to survive but as you say even fruits are also very costly and not easily available .
I will mostly use public transport but I might use taxi for short distance travel like metro station to hotel.Also I was thinking that ticket for 4 in mtro might be equal to taxi fare
thanks again
by vivek Gupta (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 16:15
Regarding budget travel in Japan, this page might be of interest to you:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028.html

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 16:21
Regarding transportation, I'm a regular visitor to Japan and I've only ever used a taxi once (literally just once). Major cities like Tōkyō tend to have well developed and very dense public transportation systems, with scores of train lines running across the area. If you choose a hotel that's within walking distance of a train station (and many of them are), you might find that you'll never need to summon a taxi.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Cost of visiting Tokyo 2015/3/13 16:39
I spent a month in Japan and only saw fruit for sale in convenience stores or supermarkets a handful of times.

I suppose you mean that you only ventured into these types of stores a few times, because fresh fruit is always on sale at supermarkets, and most convenience stores carry a few fruit items.

Being a vegetarian will pose some problems. I advise looking up places to eat and then planning your travels around that. The other option is to know a few go to items that you should be able to find anywhere, for example soba/udon without the broth, kappamaki sushi (sorry it's a short list).

Finally, taxi are expensive for single travellers but are far more economical for groups of 4. In this case they may break even or be close fare-wise, but can be far faster and more convenient.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread